New inexpensive range finders

glbhunter

I'd like to get some of you guys knowledge about which of all the new inexpensive range finders you would recommend? I have looked at or read about some of them and prices. 1- Sig Sauer kilo 2200 $499; 2- Leupold RX 1600 $350; 3- Nixon Monark 3000 stabilizer $369; 4- Vortex Ranger 1800 $429. I'd like to stay under $500 and they don't have all the fancy ballistic functions, just a good solid range finder. Or maybe others you like.

I bought a vortex 1200 last year and this year I noticed that an internal lens has loosened. I can't get it to focus consistently and something can be heard when shaking the unit. I have contacted vortex, but haven't sent it back yet. It's under lifetime warranty so I expect they will make it good either way. It's just disappointing to have a failure like this after one year of light use.

I bought a vortex 1400 and it done a great job this fall. I used it at ranges 200,400,600, & 800 target shooting this summer. I was able to range out to 1100 on my elk hunt. However, after all that practice I shot my elk at 300 yds. That's ok, I was prepared for longer ranges

Euro Optic have the Leica 2000b for $399 if you want a RF with ballistic ability. My wife has one and it works very well.

BF58C02B-2CD3-43B9-894F-AC4ADB0334F8.jpeg

The sig has been great for me

The Leica 2400 is a very strong contender. Their ranging capabilities in bright sun are particularly strong in their class, but Leica RF's are generally one of the top performers in all conditions, probably due to their extensive experience in making RF's.

Sig rangefinders offer a lot of bang for the buck as well, and I find them particularly good in rainy conditions. For the money, you can pick up a 2200 BDX and have some more advanced ballistics capabilities if you want to use them.

That said, Leica glass is particularly good, good enough that I use mine as an observation device. I think you would probably be doing well with either of these choices and have a confidence on most reasonable targets out to at 1800 plus.

I bought a sig 2200 about a year ago and have been very disappointed with it. I've never been able to range anything past 900 yds in any conditions. I usually rest it on a shooting bag to get steady. I have a Nikon prostaff 7i that does pretty good out to 1200 in good conditions. Thought the Sig would be better but not so. Anybody have similar experience?

I bought a sig 2200 about a year ago and have been very disappointed with it. I've never been able to range anything past 900 yds in any conditions. I usually rest it on a shooting bag to get steady. I have a Nikon prostaff 7i that does pretty good out to 1200 in good conditions. Thought the Sig would be better but not so. Anybody have similar experience?
You should definitely contact customer service. 900 yards should be a chip shot on any reasonable target for that RF.

I bought a sig sayer kilo 1200 last summer was going to give it as a gift to grand son. However, I liked it so well that I kept it. Last fall on elk hunt I was ranging out to 1100 on rocks. You should definitely call mfg.about your 2200. It should do better than that

I've been able to range buildings at over 2000 with my sig 2200 bdx, trying to get a cow that far, so far no luck but gotta find where my sensor is located within the reticle then I think I might have better luck.

i have a sig 1250 and havent gotten it to range anything past about 850. i need to get in touch with sig. they're customer service is top notch from stories i've heard.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts