New .22 advice

J.G.W

I need a new .22 rifle. My two eldest daughters (aged 8 & 10) have outgrown the Savage rascal I brought the eldest for her 5th birthday. They are using an old Stirling M14 that I learned to shoot with 30+ years ago, it was an old rifle then and has had thousands and thousands of rounds through it. They have reached the point they'd rather be using my .223 because the old .22 just isn't accurate enough. Not a bad thing but they will send me broke feeding it!
So what I want is something they can shoot with but that I can still use comfortably. I was thinking about one of The Ruger American rifles, I like the interchangeable cheek piece idea to give the kids a bit more height/better cheek weld.
Thoughts??

Last edited:
Ruger American is a good deal, I have a Ruger 10/22 that's a tack driver but it is finicky and will only shoot certain kinds of ammo accurately. A friend has the Ruger American and it will shoot most 22 ammo accurately. Both Rifles shoot under 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with the right ammo.

Thanks all. I am going to go with the Ruger American stainless, local gun shop will do me a sweet deal. Waynzee if I was allowed to own a 10/22 here in Australia I'd have one for sure, you've got to love uneducated lawmakers don't you :mad:

Ruger 10/22s are great and offer a ton of accessories that you can easily add. Hence allowing you to tweak the rifle as their skills grow. Also a great platform to teach all the needed skills from

Yep, the Ruger 10/22 is great 22, it fits most small frame shooters well and is light enough too. But if a bolt gun is preferred then the CZ would be a good choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.