Nevada first elk hunt

Sprucegoose

063D09D0-D514-4D12-9E37-F11D46D14668.jpeg FC1930AA-47E7-4AD4-BAAD-B9BC69176E9C.jpeg Spent a few days before the season scouting and oddly was seeing very few 6 points and many large 5's. Spoke with a few local outfitters and cowboys who run cattle in the area and they told us they noticed the same thing this year, a lot of just really large 5's, their thought was that it was possible due to the drought they had this last year. Anyways after that I figured I would be happy with a good 5. After 2 blown stocks opening morning and night I noticed a pattern of the bulls feeding from timber across the clearings into another strip of timber. The second afternoon I setup in the timber and waited. Sure enough I see a small bull feed right to me with a larger bull behind him. I decide to try and get to a lone pine 20 yards from the timber line for better position to make a shot and as I'm getting ready to move i notice something waving in the air 5 yards from the pine. Well I just about pooped my pants when I realized it was a tail, from a mountain lion! O man he saw me at the same time and then disappeared into the sage. At the same time I see the large bull cresting the ridge. I say f the lion and set up on a stump, steady myself and squeeze the trigger sending a 140eld from my 6.5 saum. Bull drops instantly and is dead by the time I get to him. Ended up being a great trip for my first elk hunt. Funny how I spend all season practicing out to 800 yards end up making a 150 yard shot when it counts.

Excellent story for an amazing first hunt. In the end, after at least several hard elk hunts, I like the saying, "any elk is good elk!" You sure got a dandy.

That's awesome. Thank you for the story and pictures. Great job and congrats

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.