Need Load Data for StaBALL 6.5 / 257 Roberts AI / 110gr - 115gr

AkleyFan

Has anyone loaded up some StaBALL 6.5 under a Hornady 110gr ELD-X or a Berger 115gr VLDH in their 257 Roberts AI?

I'm going to try a coyote hunt with those bullets and want to move away from my RL-19 loads and go with a more temp stable powder. Need some good starting data.

24" 9 twist X-Caliber 5R barrel

Has anyone loaded up some StaBALL 6.5 under a Hornady 110gr ELD-X or a Berger 115gr VLDH in their 257 Roberts AI?

I'm going to try a coyote hunt with those bullets and want to move away from my RL-19 loads and go with a more temp stable powder. Need some good starting data.

24" 9 twist X-Caliber 5R barrel

Berger would be happy to provide reloading data for any of their bullets. I have received data for several cartridges via their email.

Nosler has no data for Staball in my #8 manual. I had very good results in my 257AI with N-160, and N-150 but never tested Staball.

Based on Hodgdon's data for the plain-jane 257 Roberts I've put loads together between 44gr - 46gr in .5gr increments. I'll find out the expensive way and post my results. I added some 115gr Nosler Accubonds to the mix as well.

I'm range ready, just need a hall pass...

87g Speer TNT would be my first choice for coyotes in this caliber, but you must be talking long range.
Yes, the ranch I hunt gives me opportunities to shoot extreme long range. I want to try a bullet/powder combination that will get me to 1000 yards in my 257. With RL-19 I'm about maxed out @ 2930fps in my accuracy load, I need more speed. A 30" barrel and RL-26 aka Pixie Dust might do it, but I'm in fantasy land thinking I may find some RL-26 in my lifetime. I may end up dialing back my expectations for this rifle, and then build a 257 Weatherby. Or build a 25/280AI - which sounds kinda fun. I need to go search the web now...

Maybe try some lighter weight Monos with relatively high BCs. I think McGuire makes one and Hammer also that have decent BCs and run around 95 grains. Just thinking outside of the box. Maybe you can run those with some faster powder and maybe get the speed you need?

What powder and bullet combo do you want to work with or have.
And get me your brass H2O.
My cases hold 62.6 grains of H2O

The relatively temp stable powders I have are StabBall 6.5, H4831SC and perhaps N165 - everything else is a bit too sensitive to temps. The Powder Fairy needs to visit my house. My bullet selection is both the Hornady 110gr ELD-X and the Berger 115gr VLDH.

If someone in the area has some recommended powder I could try I would gladly trade $ for it - or ?

I do have Ramshot Magnum, Hunter, Big Game, MagPro, RL-22, RL-19, RL-17, RL-15, RL-15.5, 7828SC and a slew of faster powders. None of them fit my needs per temp sensitivity.

Last edited: