Need Help Interpreting Bolt Face Markings

Ramblin99

I know there are a LOT of smart guys in this forum, so I thought I'd reach out for some of your wisdom. I'm considering buying a Weatherby Mark V in .240 Weatherby. The bolt face has some significant markings, and I don't know the cause, and what those marks mean for the condition of the chamber/barrel. I've posted a pic below. Can you help me understand what caused the circles on the bolt face? And would you have concern buying a rifle with a bolt face in this condition? Thanks in advance for your help!

Keith

pix387974245.jpg

Phil, I wish I can answer that question. All I have is a photo from the online listing of the rifle. And I wish it wasn't so blurry, but it's all I have. I was thinking over-pressure loads. If so, would you be concerned about the throat or even the rifling?

Phil, I wish I can answer that question. All I have is a photo from the online listing of the rifle. And I wish it wasn't so blurry, but it's all I have. I was thinking over-pressure loads. If so, would you be concerned about the throat or even the rifling?
I'm not familiar with Wby, other than being told about the very long free bore.
A good bore scope under a trained eye seems like the only reliable way to gauge erosion.
Sorry I can't help more. Good luck.

I had a Savage that I used Winchester primers that leaked a little bit and I pitted the bolt face pretty good using some hot loads when I was younger. Didn't affect anything and the rifle still shot lights out. It wouldn't deter me necessarily if the rifle shoots well in my opinion. But it's also easy to replace a Savage bolt head.