Need help finding the right height rings.

Roktoys84

I'm going to be mounting a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 on a Savage 10FP with a Badger Ordnance 20 moa base. I'm not having any luck figuring out what height scope rings I'll need. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.

50mm objective scopes with 30mm tubes are fairly tough because they are what I call "tweener" mounting height, right on the cusp between low and medium height rings, depending on scope length and rifle used. The 10FP has a fairly heavy barrel, but the scope is about 17 inches long to stretch out along that barrel. The Badger base is pretty thick, too.

1st off, I GUARANTEE medium height rings will work (0.5 inch from bottom of the tube to the top of the base). But you MIGHT get low rings (0.25 inch) to work with a whisker to spare which would be optimal.

It's worth it to see if lows will work, to maximize the long range travel of the scope, and give you a nice, tight cheek weld.

Get both, and send back the lows if they don't work.

Scott

I'm about to order a taller set of Badger rings, so the question is how much clearance do I need. The .232" rings didn't give me enough clearance for scope caps. The next step up is .294", which is about 1/16" taller. If the caps are touching the barrel will this have any adverse affects on accuracy or will it cause any damage to the scope. The next size up is .409", which will definitly clear, but I'm under the impression that lower is better.

A size 43 BC cap is about 1.65mm, so the .294 likely won't do it (safely).

We have Seekins Precision .329 that would be perfect.

Scott

I ordered the .409"s. I hadn't even thought about the sunshade, and with the 20moa base I figured it likely wouldn't clear the barrel 6"s out even if the cap did.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.