My mountian goat gun

338savage

Well I leave in two weeks for my first mountian goat hunt here is the gun I'm taking its 8lbs all in, do u guys think I should shed some weight and leave the bipod?
15327091790567204352906836552859.jpg

I know an awful lot of guys run with the bipod but I personally don't like them on a hunting rifle. Hooks on brush, digs into your pack or back. In the way for everything except when you have the right kind of ground that you can use it in. as 26reload said, I prefer to shoot off a pack. I carry a short set of shooting sticks to go with the pack. Between the two I can support the rifle front and rear in most situations.

Steve

Put me in the camp with no bipod, or sticks. To me they're in the way, more than useful.

Have fun! Where you going?

I say it depends more on your terrain. I use bipods all the time for pronghorn hunts in open desert, short sage, and alfalfa fields shooting from high points. For my elk hunts, I throw my bipod in an outer pocket and use it if I need it, but carry my rifle without it. I have used my current long range rig to take two elk, both with the bipod on. I also have QD side mounts on my stock that I carry my rifle with, so the bipod doesn't dig in even if it is installed. However, on a sheep hunt I would practice shooting off my pack and not take the bipod if weight was a big issue. If my pack was still pretty light, I would maybe take it and just carry it in my pack as I do elk hunting. I would throw in a small rear bag, I have found them as light as a few ounces, and can clip anywhere on a pack. You may want to consider putting some form of a small leveling device on your rifle if you plan on shooting over 500 yds. I would add a few ounces to ensure that my once in a lifetime shot hits it's mark, personally.

Some are heavy....but what about a walking pole with a fork on top...killed more than one critter while leaning against a tree...and there won't be many trees where you will be.....and as a has been guide...sure as hell not gonna let you use my shoulder for a front rest..........lol.....too much tinnitus already....and I would be breathing hard from he climb too..........you might have to pack me out.....

Some are heavy....but what about a walking pole with a fork on top...killed more than one critter while leaning against a tree...and there won't be many trees where you will be.....and as a has been guide...sure as hell not gonna let you use my shoulder for a front rest..........lol.....too much tinnitus already....and I would be breathing hard from he climb too..........you might have to pack me out.....
I've been on 4 sheep hunts and never found it necessary to use a rifle mounted bi-pod. I'm with the others. Leave it at home.

Funny I have found mine useful on most of my hunts. I hunt mostly in the southwest so I've set mine up on a rock etc... I like using a bipod. I usually take my atlas and stick it in my bag if I need it I take it out if my outside pocket and attach...if I don't it stays in my pack. I have never found it weight is what kept me from making the climb.

Ed

Funny I have found mine useful on most of my hunts. I hunt mostly in the southwest so I've set mine up on a rock etc... I like using a bipod. I usually take my atlas and stick it in my bag if I need it I take it out if my outside pocket and attach...if I don't it stays in my pack. I have never found it weight is what kept me from making the climb.

Ed
Do you notice a poi shift from bipod on to off? I have always seen a noticeable diff.

Steve

If you want the lightest bipod out there...hete it is....i picked up a few from a local ARMY SURPLUS STORE...weighs nothing..attaches to the barrel though...just clips around...
I did change it a bit though....as you see the sling swivel on the top..added an extra swivel stud to rifles to leave the extra sling swivel attached and the bipod attaches onto the sling swivel...
Added some hair bands in some grooves I cut out and gave extra strength to the attachment.....havent used it in the field...but shot okay from a bench....
Pulls right out of a pants pocket.....

Attachments

• VZM.IMG_20160919_183926.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20160919_183926.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 240
When packing my rifle, the bipod is in a side pocket. When still hunting, stalking, or shoulder carrying, blood is on. I have taken too many shots sitting vs. Prone to not have a rifle mounted bipod. Usually too high of grass and not enough rock outcroppings or stumps to utilize as a rest. But....in sheep or goat country, you will probably not have that issue.

When hunting with my kids, it is an essential piece of equipment. Sometimes we use a loose bipod/tripod, either alone or in conjunction with the rifle mounted bipod.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.