My 8,000 Foot Wyoming Black Bear - By Len Backus

ADMIN

Administrator
As soon as the big boar turned slightly to his right the 180 grain Berger bullet was on its way along the 574 yard arcing route across the steep canyon. Hit hard, the bear buckled, spun, and then sprinted downhill about 50 yards toward us and then to its left, finally collapsing on the ground. Through my 25 power Nightforce ATACR rifle scope I watched his head move ever so slightly waiting to see if he'd need a second shot. Soon there was no movement and it was time for high fives. I had just taken a beautiful six and a half foot black bear at 8,000 feet in the Wyoming mountains! Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, My 8,000 Foot Wyoming Black Bear, By Len Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Very nice bear Len. Good shot, and good bear hunting story - with great photos too. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Paul! We all had such a great time.

P.S. - I just added a few more pix.

What an amazing hunt, thanks for the writeup! Beautiful country and bear.

That 7mm Dakota with the lighter fluted barrel sure looks nice. How much does it weigh with the ATACR on top? I have that same scope on my 300 win mag and love it.

Nice story and detail of hunt. I am lucky to have been doing this for many years as I grew up in MT.Brought my son up doing the same, he is a bear nut. Very good bear.

Great bear!! I will be hunting with Robb next May or June for bear. I have also signed up for mule deer and antelope. I am really looking forward to Robb helping me with my shooting. Your story is great and the challenge must have been wonderful.

Beautiful country and nice bear! Makes me long for the mountains and another spring bear hunt. Thanks for the write up and photos.

Congrats on your bear Len and a good story to boot! I'd love to submit a story, but no bullets means no story. Been trying for a year to get the 180 Hybrid to test. I think Berger runs out before they can reach the east coast :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.