My 280 - Updated!

I have a 700 mountain rifle in 280, that I am thinking of having done. How much did it cost you for that type of work. (after 4 shoots the thin barrel heats up bad)

As always, the answer depends, but here's a laundry list of potential cost:

Custom Barrel: $325 + Shipping
Barrel Installation: $300+
Action Blueprinting: $250

That will get the big part of the project done. From there you will want to consider whether you want to replace the trigger and stock. If you have a Remington stock, I would recommend changing it to a good aftermarket stock and have your action bedded into that stock. A decent stock will cost ~$200+ and bedding will cost ~$100.

Stay tuned, this particular rifle is about to change rather dramatically. Will post pics and list the changes soon.

As I mentioned before, this rifle is about to undergo a major transformation in order to reduce weight as I'm getting tired of lugging this 10lb rifle up and down hills. I'm hoping to bring it down to ~8lbs.

The stock has been sold and the barrel was removed and installed on my http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/index6.html#post981398

All that's left of my rifle is the action. It is at the gunsmith now having a new 280Rem barrel contoured and installed. Haven't decided on a stock yet but needless to say it will have to be 'light.'

This may be the final transformation for this rifle. And I have to say that I really like it. Here are the upgrades:

Stock: Laminate stock with aluminum bedding block in 'coffee' (black, brown and gray)

Barreled Action: it has the original trued Rem700 action with a new custom stainless steel barrel. The barrel is a 'remington sporter' contour cut at 22". The entire barreled action is cerakoted McMillan gray.

New Load: 140grain Sierra Game King over 59grains of Superformance lit by Winchester Large Rifle primer. It sends these pills at 3100fps. It will shoot .5moa which makes this a deer killer out to 600 yards. I'm quite confident with this load regularly making 400yard cold bore shots in varying winds.

The best part of this rifle is that it now weighs 8lbs! rather than the 10lbs it previously weighed.

Here are a couple pics. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
I love it! Great you hit your target weight too. The Mac grey suits that rifle well. To another round of life for 'ol Betsy. Happy Thanksgiving!

-Jze

I love it! Great you hit your target weight too. The Mac grey suits that rifle well. To another round of life for 'ol Betsy. Happy Thanksgiving!

-Jze

Glad you like it. I'm quite pleased with it too. Next week it will be out in the field and hopefully adding to the venison in the freezer!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.