Model 70 aficionados. 1/4”-32 Buttonhead socket screws.

I have always preferred replacing slotted heads with Allen heads. Seems like sources come and go but they have always been available for the last forty years.

NECG is the current supplier....kind of pricey. I think you could do some business, especially if you offer various lengths.

Timing guard screws or any visible screws with slots is alining the slot precisly with the liner centerline of the rifle when the srew is torqued/seated. Done on 'high end' customs. Most don't care or don't know, and will ask , "why bother, it doesn't make the rifle shoot any better!". But, it is a feature found, none the less, on high end, hand built custom rifles and shotguns. Think Purdy and H&H and guys like Duane Wiebe, Jim Kobe and other ACGG builders. It's a case of looks matter as much as accuracy and function. It's not something you'll find on a Savage or Remage.

Timing guard screws or any visible screws with slots is alining the slot precisly with the liner centerline of the rifle when the srew is torqued/seated. Done on 'high end' customs. Most don't care or don't know, and will ask , "why bother, it doesn't make the rifle shoot any better!". But, it is a feature found, none the less, on high end, hand built custom rifles and shotguns. Think Purdy and H&H and guys like Duane Wiebe, Jim Kobe and other ACGG builders. It's a case of looks matter as much as accuracy and function. It's not something you'll find on a Savage or Remage.

Roger that. Buttonhead socket screws offer 5 points of the allen socket to synchronize the appearance while the buttonhead offers more traditional head appearance than the average socket head capscrew. Thus making it easier to achieve the requisite torque while achieving timing.
The challenge for the high end guys is finding the right finish appearance eg; blued "appearance" vs black oxide. Stainless is easy, just not as strong as some other alloys, IMO.

Yes. Every chance I get I try to replace slotted action screws, M70, 700s, Mausers alike. Been looking for socket screws for Mauser 98s, if anyone knows a source please let me know.

I can already buy guard screws with use with an Allen wrench from Midwest Gun Works, or as a 'true' gunsmith, I can use Brownells guard screw blanks to make any length that I might need. I think you missed the point about timing guard screws, or say, inletted sling attachments that are attached with slotted screws. Timing a screw shows the gunsmith is concerned about details, ALL of the details. Those that pertain to accuracy, function, fit and how the firearm appears. I know and understand that the over whelming majority on this forum are more into rifles that appear to look like a piece of machinery and are mostly concerned with accuracy or they are only interested in barrels that lock into place with a nut. But, there are those who want their accurate rifle to look like a traditional rifle, too. You can't time screws that have a socket for an Allen wrench. The stock making instructor at MCC that I learned under would just shake his head and walk away! Details, details details.

Poorly timed screws just ruin the look for me. Hate it when the slots don't align. An allen socket screw should be timed with the flats perfectly front/back. Might be ocd but the flats should be perpendicular to the rifle, and both action screws should match each other.

I can already buy guard screws with use with an Allen wrench from Midwest Gun Works, or as a 'true' gunsmith, I can use Brownells guard screw blanks to make any length that I might need. I think you missed the point about timing guard screws, or say, inletted sling attachments that are attached with slotted screws. Timing a screw shows the gunsmith is concerned about details, ALL of the details. Those that pertain to accuracy, function, fit and how the firearm appears. I know and understand that the over whelming majority on this forum are more into rifles that appear to look like a piece of machinery and are mostly concerned with accuracy or they are only interested in barrels that lock into place with a nut. But, there are those who want their accurate rifle to look like a traditional rifle, too. You can't time screws that have a socket for an Allen wrench. The stock making instructor at MCC that I learned under would just shake his head and walk away! Details, details details.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.