Mighty Armory FL sizing die vs Redding FL bushing die?

stiff neck

Mighty Armory FL sizing die vs Redding FL bushing die. Is one better than the other?

Assuming 6.5 Cr or 6.5x47L or similar cartridge with top quality components, match grade barrel, no turn Lapua brass etc.

I'd prefer to hone a Forster FL die but they've been out of stock for months and my build is completed waiting for dies.

Last edited:
I went round and round with the owner I think.... thier dies are heat treated, case hardened dies went well and still do. They are highly polished in the bore so polish your dies with very fine wet sand paper. They have a very long stiff expander, so does Redding. My Redding FL sizer on my RC has the same runout as a 21st mandrel on a coax. I'm not impressed. Use the right amount of sizing lube and no problem. Maybe for AR platform they are of, but for precision loading no. The expander alignment is good, but there's more to it than that.

Last edited:
.30-06- I'm kind of confused about your meaning.

Mighty Armory vs Redding type-s plus bushing. Both are similar in price. Is one system likely any better than the other for basic no turn Lapua brass? About the same? Major disadvantages I'm overlooking?

Perhaps it's not "worth it" to $witch from one to the other. But if I have neither, and buy the MA, will it produce ammo as well as Redding? Is one inferior to the other?

Benchrest shooter mentioned this to me on another forum....
No-turn necks?---- you need a bushing die
Changing brands of brass?-----you need a bushing die
"Playing with" neck tension for tuning??----you need a bushing die
Cases are work hardening?----you need a bushing die
Changing bullets?----you need a bushing die
I don't go along with all of it, but it's his method and it works for him. I use 21st mandrels for my necks, some swear by bushing dies or a body die and a Lee Collet neck sizer. One step verses two or more.

You are better with a S die. You can use a honed die from Forster, but once you change brands the die is worthless and have to have another die made, another member here mentioned to me.

Last edited:
How do you know I need a bushing die for no-turn necks?

I already mentioned Lapua brass. I have a barrel's lifetime worth of it. Lapua no-turn.

Neck tension? Are you assuming Mighty Armory's die has incorrect neck tension?

Case work hardening? I anneal every case after every firing.

Changing bullets, different bushing? Does it matter enough for non-benchrest? Good question but probably not.

Does anyone here have ACTUAL experience with a Mighty Armory rifle die? Apparently not.

How do you know I need a bushing die for no-turn necks?

I already mentioned Lapua brass. I have a barrel's lifetime worth of it. Lapua no-turn.

Neck tension? Are you assuming Mighty Armory's die has incorrect neck tension?

Case work hardening? I anneal every case after every firing.

Changing bullets, different bushing? Does it matter enough for non-benchrest? Good question but probably not.

Does anyone here have ACTUAL experience with a Mighty Armory rifle die? Apparently not.
I said I didn't agree with everything the guy said. Neck tension is more important than neck thickness, but turning can make tension better. I saw a difference in ES based on neck turning, so I do. Neck variation can change tension.

Mighty Armory has .002 neck tension most likely, I don't do well with .002 some do some don't

I don't see any advantage with thier die and don't have to have experience using them to know marketing when I see it. Ever consider a Custom Whidden FL Bushing die ?

Last edited: