Mid-power optic opinions

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107666

My only experience with higher dollar/highpower optics is a Khales 624i.

I'm building a lighter weight hunter in 300wm, carbon barrel, manners EH stock, etc. So weight is a factor.

A 6-24 or 5-25 seems like overkill on the weight for my build. I really never shoot on higher than 12 power or so, out to 800 yards (maybe I'm doing that wrong and should be at a higher magnification?)

Anyway, Im looking at 3-15, 3-20 optics, mainly to save weight over their full sized brothers. Something like the TT315 or the S&B Ultra Short. This rifle will double as a range rifle and may see occasional use in some novice/open PRS type matches, just for fun really, I realize that a lightweight 300wm isnt a great choice for that, but it's just for fun and some extra trigger time shooting from strange positions.

Does anyone see a need for more than 15/20x in a long range hunting optic? I know the bigger optics are all the rage, and I liked the 6-24, but if I can cut some weight down and get by, I'd like to.

Thanks in advance for the inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been shooting a Leupold VX6 3-18x44 for 3 years. IMO, it is a good mid-range glass, both power & price wise, and keeps the weight & front objective bulk down on a hunting / packing rifle. It has the Boone & Crockett reticle which is great for hunting as it really stand out on game in dim light, even with the illuminated reticle off. There 2 minor things I don't like about it: First, the reticle is "slightly" thick for shooting groups at 500+ yards. It works ok, but could be a little finer if for target work especially at 700+. Second, there are no windage holdoff marks directly on the main horizontal stadia. There are ~10mph width bars for each of the first 2 elevation lines below the horizontal stadia, but they are approximate, and there are only 2 of them (for the 300 & 400 yd lines). If I were going to upgrade this, I'd be giving the March scopes a good look....

Yeah, thats what I've been reading on reticles as well, seems it's tough to find a good one to pull double duty punching steel at 800 yards and then to be visible in fading light on 3x.

I guess I should have better phrased the question for folks...if I can only afford one optic and itll spend time in the woods as well as the range, is a 3-15, 3-18, 5-20, etc going to cut it, or is it best to suck it up and take the extra 16oz or so for the jump to a 5-25, 6-24, etc, with a larger objective and better light gathering

It sounds to me as if your main use is going to be hunting with some range time thrown in for fun. From my prospective a lighter scope on my hunting rifle is my main focus ay this time. Now please understand I'm getting a little long in the tooth and packing a 10, 11 lb hunting rifle has become more of a issue. For me the 3-15, 3-18 are plenty for a hunting scope. Also I feel the lower power is nice for carrying the rifle for those closer or in the brush shots. Even though I strive to be capable of taking shots in the 600 to 800 yard range most of my shots end up being in the 100 yd or less range. A good quality scope with good glass in the 3-18 with a smaller objective may not gather as much light as the larger objective scope but I have never felt that the smaller objective was insufficient. Now someone mentioned the March scope. I don't have one but will admit I would sure like to have one. They look like a very interesting scope with both ends of the power range covered. Good luck with your choice and shoot safe.

The March has 2.5-25 in sfp and 3-24 in ffp You can go with the 44mm objective or the52 and still be lighter than the 2 you mentioned. Without giving up on image quality.
21.5oz(42)sfp, 23.4(non ill 52mm), 24.5 ill 52 ffp Not ultralight but managable with the power both up and down to make any type of shot 100mao elevation as well.

Im running a vortex ravor hd light hunter in 3x15 and like it, good glass but still has moa reticle also

I did find a pretty comparison of the March vs the TT315, it really seems to hold it's own, especially at its price point.

I need to swing by a shop an put eyes on a few of these optics, for sure. I will say, I'm not really a fan of SFP glass

SFP keeps crosshairs from getting to coarse as you know. If your dialing what does it matter. At closer distances say out to 500 you can holdover with precision at the correct power setting of course. Pick your poison.

I did find a pretty comparison of the March vs the TT315, it really seems to hold it's own, especially at its price point.

I need to swing by a shop an put eyes on a few of these optics, for sure. I will say, I'm not really a fan of SFP glass
The difference in the March is an 8x zoom ratio in ffp vs a 10x zoom ratio. I've shot the 8-80 some testing for the shop I worked in last winter. Really nice glass and most that looked through it loved it. The high ratio is done well I have not looked through an FFP March but I have seen the 5-40 and 3-24 at a show. Pretty compact in size for what they are/do.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.