Mauser 98 vs Rem 700???

Would I have feeding issues with short mags in the Mauser?
Not sure... Being controlled-round-feed, I wouldn't imagine, but I'm not 100% so don't quote me on it. The SS (Sherman Shortmags) were designed specifically to function properly in a SA receiver without issue. It would be best to contact Rich Sherman directly. He's a member here. His username is "elkaholic".

I like my Rem 700's. About 30 years ago, the 7mm-08 came out and it was supposed to be the ultimate deer cartridge. A friend sold me a BRNO 98 action with Timmney trigger and Flaigs safety. Had a smith put a Douglas featherweight barrel on it, bought a Lee Six fiberglass stock and bedded it myself. Put a Leupold mini 3-9 on top but the rifle was still around 8.5 lbs. It shoots very well with Nosler AB's; I have killed many deer with it. I usually carry my 700 in 25-06 as as a back up.

One thing I hadn't thought of to potentially address feeding would be to look at a model 70. I know the follower on the WSM models had some extra relief cuts in it. There's likely more work to be done but it's a start.

Now you all have me leaning toward a 700. I looked up Sherman and like the idea of the 7mm ss.

I was wondering if I could keep costs down by buying the rem 700 cdl sf in a 7mm-08 and have it re-chambered/bolt face opened up? Would I run into headaches with feeding going this rout?

Or, should I just buy an action for a WSM and start from scratch?

I have had great luck with my other factory rem barrels having adequate accuracy for my hunting distances (less than 500 yrds).

Thanks again for the input, you all are a wealth of knowledge!

Now you all have me leaning toward a 700. I looked up Sherman and like the idea of the 7mm ss.

I was wondering if I could keep costs down by buying the rem 700 cdl sf in a 7mm-08 and have it re-chambered/bolt face opened up? Would I run into headaches with feeding going this rout?

Or, should I just buy an action for a WSM and start from scratch?

I have had great luck with my other factory rem barrels having adequate accuracy for my hunting distances (less than 500 yrds).

Thanks again for the input, you all are a wealth of knowledge!
Find a 700 SA WSM or SAUM action to build off of. Less headache. And if you can find a complete BDL rifle for a donor, that would be even better, since you would then have the WSM/SAUM magazine box & follow, and bottom metal assembly.

I would then have the action blueprinted and rebarreled and restocked.

I have been building rifles off of Tikka t3 lite actions for several years. Why? They are all long actions, lighter than other Short actions, extremely strong and very easy to tune. The factory triggers are great and most stock makers build stocks for them. My personal favorite all purpose is a factory T3 .270, re-chambered & opened up bolt face to 270 weatherby mag. using factory stock and trigger. Weighs 6#4oz and shoots lites out!

Last edited:
Due to budget I decided to go with a 300wsm in a factory 700. I'm still planning on a wildcat Composits stock. I'll shoot that for a while. Maybe down the road I'll rechamber it to one of the ss cartridges. It'll be a little over my weight restriction.
I'm considering chambering that Mauser in a 350 rem mag eventually. I think that'll be a fun gun to bust brush with.

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice, I greatly appreciate it.

Due to budget I decided to go with a 300wsm in a factory 700. I'm still planning on a wildcat Composits stock. I'll shoot that for a while. Maybe down the road I'll rechamber it to one of the ss cartridges. It'll be a little over my weight restriction.
I'm considering chambering that Mauser in a 350 rem mag eventually. I think that'll be a fun gun to bust brush with.

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice, I greatly appreciate it.
Take a real hard look at the 375 Ruger if you're going that route, you won't regret it.

I helped my uncle find loads for his 375 ruger. I will consider that, thanks for the tip.
I have two and the more I shoot them the more impresed I am with the round.

My next and probably last custom is going to be a Model 70 with a 28" bbl to see just how far I can stretch the .375 Ruger. Right now I have one in 20", another in 25" and out to 600yds it's pretty devastating. I have yet to shoot it much further.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.