Mauser 98 vs Rem 700???

I am a fan of R700 actions for custom builds. I have used Mauser, Interarms Mark X (Mauser), Winchester, and custom actions. The only ones left in my safe are the R700s and custom actions.

R700s have so much aftermarket support. Stocks of every make are available. Even 90% of the custom actions are based off the R700 footprint.

To be sub-7lbs all in is going to be tough unless you go with a lot of light aftermarket parts. Or a very compact/light scope & ring combo.

Flute bolt
Skeletonize bolt handle/knob (or use carbon fiber knob)
Alloy bolt shroud
Ti firing pin
#2-2B barrel @ 22-24" (maybe even flute it if there is enough meat) or Proof Research Sendero Light
Ultralight stock (Wildcat, Manners EH, McMillan Edge, Brown Precision, etc.)
Talley Lightweight rings
Really light SFP scope.

If you go with a SA, think about the 6.5SAUM/6.5SS, 7SAUM/7SS or .300SAUM/300SS. Shorter cases than the WSM so the bullet doesn't seat so deep. Even the 6.5 SS is plenty for elk at moderate ranges out to 800+ with the right bullets. And will have less recoil.

Also remember, a lightweight rifle takes a lot more consistent shooting form to be as accurate as even a 9# rifle. The rifle will be just as accurate, but the shooter will have to be extremely consistent to see the full benefit. If you are talking 300-500 yards max on an elk, then a 7lb all in rifle sure will be nice to carry in the mountains.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the excellent input.
If I do lean toward the Mauser with a new barrel I'd like to keep it no longer than 24 inches. The boltface in opened to a magnum. Is there an obvious caliber I should consider given the barrel length (I realize I'll loose some velocity not going with a 26")? Also, I'd be leaning toward a narrow contour. Is there concerns with too narrow of a contour for magnums?

If I do lean toward the Mauser with a new barrel I'd like to keep it no longer than 24 inches. The boltface in opened to a magnum. Is there an obvious caliber I should consider given the barrel length (I realize I'll loose some velocity not going with a 26")? Also, I'd be leaning toward a narrow contour. Is there concerns with too narrow of a contour for magnums?
Yes, you don't want to go too thin on a magnum chambering...The barrels can get too whippy and can be hard to find accuracy nodes for, and will be very picky. I wouldn't go less than a Bartlein 3B fluted.

Also, yes, certain chamberings will be more of a waste in a 24" barrel. Honestly, most magnums are even a waste in a 26" barrel, and start to shine in 28+" barrels. I would look into the 7mm SS or .300 SS cartridges if you're wanting a short action magnum.

As MR2005 says above some of the larger (mag) cartridges are burning a lot of powder and with to thin of a barrel heat up fast, any of the SA or LA Mag cartridges will perform fine with a 24" barrel, a #3 contour would be ideal for you application, heavy enough but not to heavy to make it still have decent packability

270 WSM. Good ballistics in less than 26" and factory brass readily available.
I have kicked this idea around as well. I have a 257 wby that I think overlaps the 270 wsm too much. I realize I'm not comparing apples to apples here, but they aren't too far off from each other.

Yes, you don't want to go too thin on a magnum chambering...The barrels can get too whippy and can be hard to find accuracy nodes for, and will be very picky. I wouldn't go less than a Bartlein 3B fluted.

Also, yes, certain chamberings will be more of a waste in a 24" barrel. Honestly, most magnums are even a waste in a 26" barrel, and start to shine in 28+" barrels. I would look into the 7mm SS or .300 SS cartridges if you're wanting a short action magnum.

Would I have feeding issues with short mags in the Mauser?

The biggest difference in the mauser vs 700 is lock time. If it's not feeding from the center you will have issues with the short mags. Easy to fix with an ai mag dbm set up from CDI.
Fixing the lock time though that's tough. You can do the speedlock or gre tan light pin set up and that gets it to about a stock 700.
A 300wsm, 300 saum 300ss or 300rcm throated long for the 200-225 class of bullets would be a great set-up for that once you figure out how your going to address the feeding. They would be a bit less of a flme thrower at 24" vs something with even more powder. They also would be a nice jump from the 257 bee. The 270wsm with an 8tw though can sling those big matrix and berger's as well as the bigger 277 hammer's although the 168's won't be stable

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts