Marlin XL7 aftermarket trigger?

Budget'06

Hi all, about a year ago a friend donated me a Marlin XL7 in 30-06. I really like the rifle but after about 20 rounds through it, the trigger became incredibly light. After taking it apart I found that the set screw for adjusting the trigger pull had come out and completely stripped the threading so I can no longer put it back in.

I read that a 783 Remington trigger should fit in it but was not sure if that was correct and thought I would ask here first. If anyone has any knowledge on this or anyway to mend the trigger please let me know!

Thanks!

My Marlin XS-7 is one I actually left the factory trigger in. I thought the factory trigger was decent for the amount I paid for the gun. I did adjust the trigger pull. I'd say your friend either backed the screw way out and was in the last thread or two, which caused it to strip out.
I actually thought a Remington 700 trigger would fit it, but please don't take my word for it. I hope you can get a replacement trigger. As these rifles were great rifles for the price they sold for.

My Marlin XS-7 is one I actually left the factory trigger in. I thought the factory trigger was decent for the amount I paid for the gun. I did adjust the trigger pull. I'd say your friend either backed the screw way out and was in the last thread or two, which caused it to strip out.
I actually thought a Remington 700 trigger would fit it, but please don't take my word for it. I hope you can get a replacement trigger. As these rifles were great rifles for the price they sold for.
I definitely want to get it sorted out. It was really nice until the trigger failed on me. I'm not sure it is a Remington 700 though, my CVA Cascade takes a Remington 700. Maybe I can email timney and ask them

1723258450118.png

Does the trigger look like this?

Are you very mechanically inclined? If so, I would remove the trigger, completely disassemble, coat the screw with paste wax and buff it off at least twice, 3x couldn't hurt. then put some JB weld in the hole and on the screw and install the screw making sure to clean off any excess that squeezes out on the inside and outside. Turn the screw a 1/4 turn after 8 hours, then let it finish curing per instructions. Do not install the lock nut until the epoxy is cured and you have removed the screw to clean anything that needs cleaning before final assembly. After complete reassembly and setting your pull weight and function checking, then lightly lock the nut.

Last edited:
Are you very mechanically inclined? If so, I would remove the trigger, disassemble, coat the screw with paste wax and buff it off at least twice, 3x couldn't hurt. then put some JB weld in the hole and on the screw and install the screw making sure to clean off any excess that squeezes out on the inside and outside. Turn the screw a 1/4 turn after 8 hours, then let it finish curing per instructions. Do not install the lock nut until the epoxy is cured and you have removed the screw to clean anything that needs cleaning before final assembly. After complete reassembly and setting your pull weight and function checking, then lightly lock the nut.
I was thinking about doing something along those lines, it being me tho I would probably mess it up and waste time and resources. Figured it would just be easier to drop a new one in. Plus I was hoping to rebarrel it and maybe build off the action so a nice new trigger seemed to be worth while

BTW, disassemble the trigger inside of a clear plastic bag so you don't lose anything. 😁
I don't know that you'll find a replacement trigger. Your best bet would be to call Timney.

BTW, disassemble the trigger inside of a clear plastic bag so you don't lose anything. 😁
I don't know that you'll find a replacement trigger. Your best bet would be to call Timney.
I'm thinking when I'm off vacation I'll just call them or email them to see if they'll work

The other option would be to have it drilled out and have a Heli-coil installed if there is enough wall thickness.
I just looked at Timney's website and they don't list anything.
I think a repair is your best bet.

The other option would be to have it drilled out and have a Heli-coil installed if there is enough wall thickness.
I just looked at Timney's website and they don't list anything.
I think a repair is your best bet.
Well they sell a 783 trigger, which is supposedly the same thing. That was what I was originally inquiring about. But a repair maybe mandatory