Marks on Brass from new gun

deerassassin22

Well I went and picked up a Browning AB3 300 Win Mag shoot great but today I noticed a small problem/issue. When I was getting ready to start making some reloads I seated a bullet to 3.332 and used fully prepped brass I then loaded it into my gun and It came out with the rings below on the case and the blemish/bumps on tip of the bullet. (Bottom Bullet BTHP).

I then grab some factory new Remington 180's (Bullet with Lead Point) and the same thing happened on both the bullet and the brass seated at 3.298, when I loaded it in the gun.

I only have 40rnds down the gun and just noticed this today. Some of the scratches you can get a nail on when going down the case. I did put both pullets in the magazine and then chambered them.

I also used a new bullet and dropped it in the barrel same result on that one also minus marks on actual bullet.

All marks are between 1.621 and 2.025 measure from bottom of case towards the top.

Any ideas should I be concerned?

Attachments

• load 015 (1024x768).jpg
    load 015 (1024x768).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 127
  • load 014 (1024x768).jpg
    load 014 (1024x768).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 114
  • load 013 (768x1024).jpg
    load 013 (768x1024).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Marks on bullet could be new feed ramp chatter, other harder for me to tell by pict.

Here are some pictures with arrows to add some clarity if people are unsure what I'm trying to type out LOL.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 143
It appears that the top or bottom of the chamber is scratching the case when loading a case out of the magazine, does it still mark the case if you single load? It could be the barrel is not completely square to the action.

Last edited:
If you are carefully slipping the cartridge into the chamber then closing the bolt and removing carefully then you have a chamber with some anomalies.

If this is a new rifle you should take it back to where you purchased it and show the folks at the store your damaged ammo. It is a manufacturing issue. Hope they take it back.
If not you will have to return it to Browning for repairs. I would not use it nor would I have it repaired on my nickel.

It sucks that with today's modern manufacturing techniques and procedures that something like this would slip by quality control.

... I also used a new bullet and dropped it in the barrel same result on that one also minus marks on actual bullet.

I suspect the bullet markings may be from contacting the magazine or loading ramp when placing the round into battery. But, in view of the fact that you have dropped a round into the chamber in "single shot" style and got the same case markings, it is my opinion that the chamber needs to be examined for imperfections.
You can do that, but only if you have a good bore scope. Nevertheless, I'd take it back and see what can be worked out between you, the dealer, and the manufacturer.
Best of luck ...............

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.