Mark's Glock was empty

The point I was trying to make was to be as prepared as possible and eliminate as many possibilities of failure as possible.

There will always be the what if's and he should haves. but the truth is it still happens and if anything good can come of it, We learn a lesson that might just save our life or someone else's.

Everyone will have their favorite fire are to carry but they have to evaluate the possibilities of what "could" happen and be as prepared
as possible.

J E CUSTOM

Totally totally agree with you. Both my son and I hunt black bear, and although many will not consider them as harmful as a brown bear/grizzly, the "potential" for getting hurt is there!! We both carry Glock 20's, however it really doesn't matter what one is carrying as long as it is on their person and totally available. With that threat or potential threat there, the prudent thing would have been to be prepared for that potential. I am not Sunday morning quarterbacking here, just being realistic and totally agree with JE on this one. People carry concealed firearms due to that "potential threat", however some people feel that they are being paranoid because they just don't get it that the threat is always present. Sometimes we all become complacent when it comes to times where we ought to be a bit more cautious!! I am retired law enforcement, my significant other does not like firearms at all; but, we get by that quite easily. During a biking/camping trip last year we were with a group of individuals who had taken to a lengthy bike ride. We always stop at an ice cream shop that is alongside the bike trail, as we did this year. We were there for only a very short time when one of the group that we were with showed up at the ice cream shop really upset and shaking. When asked what was wrong, he replied that he had almost struck a black bear with his bike as it crossed in front of him only feet away; remember this was a biking trip. On our way back, my significant other was also concerned about the bear incident (there usually are two or three during our trips), and the person who does not like firearms asked me, "Do you have your little friend with you?" My response back to her was, "Yes, and I also have my gun with me!" Over the years I have found that there are more than four-legged predators on bike paths! For me a good policy is to always prepare for the worst and the rest is always simple! Just my two cents worth on this matter. Too bad it ended tragically as it did.

There's 15+1 rounds of 220 grain hard cast flat nose in my G20 10mm at all times. I shoot it well and have a ton of confidence in the combination.

Where did you get the 220 grain flat nose bullets? Are these Buffalo bore bullets? And how about fouling the Glock barre and do they feed well in the Glock? Right now we are carrying Barnes 200 gr TSX, but would like something a little more stout if I can find something that works

Where did you get the 220 grain flat nose bullets? Are these Buffalo bore bullets? And how about fouling the Glock barre and do they feed well in the Glock? Right now we are carrying Barnes 200 gr TSX, but would like something a little more stout if I can find something that works

I use both Buffalo Bore and Underwood . I have a KKM barrel in mine but you can use the factory barrel. If using the factory barrel be aware that it will build up lead quickly and require much more frequent cleaning.

Glock doesn't recommend lead bullets in any of their barrels, but many use them successfully. Just be aware of the leading issues .

Hey guys first time replying here. But common sense tells a person that an empty firearm is better used as a club. Im not a fan of glock and would want to put it down any chance I get as well. Hehe. Sorry but honestly. A 10 mm would work against a hungry grizzly when loaded and useable. Loaded and useable means to chamber a round, if your not comfortable carrying a useable pistol. Then do what you should in the first place. Practice! Practice! Practice. Become familiar and comfortable. Watching Alaska hunting shows on you tube or outdoor channel Is not a recommended form of practice. That being said. I want to know when the grizzly hunt begins. :)

For shooting at the range I will shoot any bullet that the pistol likes.

If I am shooting single action pistols I consider them for sport.
If I am carrying a semi auto for any kind of self protection, It will be a double action and be loaded with with one in the chamber and the hammer de-cocked so All i have to do is draw and pull the trigger.

If I feel the need for more horsepower that my 10 mm, I will carry a 44, 454, or the 460 in a double action revolver.

I have had 3 encounters with black bears and none with felons and don't want another. So If I get rattled, all I have to do is point and shoot. in some situations you may only have time for one or two shots, so time racking the slide, cocking the hammer or flipping the safety of may cost you that one or two shots.

What ever you carry, make sure that you can fire fast, and without thinking about all the other things that could get in your way if you forgot them.

If a person wants to carry a semi auto for self defense of the fore legged kind, I recommend a full metal jacketed bullet because it will feed better and will not come apart on impact. If it is the two legged kind almost any bullet will do the job if you can hit with it and it doesn't give you problems feeding.

I have faced many charging hogs and found that many bullets will/can bounce or glance off there frontal armor and full metal jacketed bullets rarely fail to penetrate.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

I use both Buffalo Bore and Underwood . I have a KKM barrel in mine but you can use the factory barrel. If using the factory barrel be aware that it will build up lead quickly and require much more frequent cleaning.

Glock doesn't recommend lead bullets in any of their barrels, but many use them successfully. Just be aware of the leading issues .
Thanks for getting back to me with the info on the bullets, and also on the barrel; you just sold two barrels for that company. I was aware of Glock's warning on shooting led bullets in their guns. Thank you again, these treads are really great to read and get information from.

I have hunted, camped, horsebacked, hiked and had a cabin in full fledged griz central for the last 40 years. When it comes to having a bear encounter you can count on it happening when you least expect it and you will not have a moments notice to think.
You can also count on the fact that there will be a wind blowing, so with bear spray you are betting your life on which way the wind is blowing. I pack it all the time.
I worked in Yellowstone Park as a contractor for over 20 years and got to know a lot of the "bear experts", one of them told me caliber wasn't as important as long as the model was an 870.
If your going to carry a side arm - carry it so it is accessible at all times. It does you no good to have it in a pack or on a pack that is not in arms reach, let alone not having one in the chamber.
Never was a fan of any "auto jammer" sidearm, always preferred a double action wheel gun. Having a son with many years in the Marines he has convinced me enough that starting this spring I'll be packing a new auto jammer in 460 Rowland on a S&W frame with a leg holster along with bear spray.

Crappy deal all the way around. Glock makes a reliable firearm. I bet I've owned 20 some of them over the years and they all after broke in were reliable. It needs to be looked at like the police and military. Shoot shoot practice practice practice with the sidearm your going to carry whatever it may be. There is no replacement for muscle memory.

You said it right there. I own a lot of handguns, I like them all, but the only ones I have used in matches are Glocks. I have a S&W .44mag Mountain Gun that is considered to be a perfect bear gun by many, but I have probably fired 200 rounds through it. I have shot easily 10K rounds through mid/full sized Glocks. I don't have the time or desire to bring that revolver skill up to par when I already have that muscle memory built.

I will stick with the Glock myself.

I suggest we all consider pre-hunt safety talks..."what firearms are you carrying? how does it work? is there one in the chamber? is there a safety? what bullets? do you have spray? how does it work? where is it?...."

I am lucky enough to not have had a bear conflict (yet), but having gone through this process would likely have resulted in a very large Mule Deer on my wall - it surprised us at 20 yards - I ran for my rifle 5 yards away, when I should have grabbed the one within arms reach on my buddies pack! Thinking like a team and working like one is a hunting skill.

I carry a rifle with a full magazine all the time then load one in the chamber as soon as I step out of the vehicle ready to hunt then I load 1 more.
My pistols are always loaded with 1 in the chamber with a full clip or loaded cylinder.

An unloaded gun if you might need it is called a club.

If you have a gun in your house it should be locked up, but still loaded.

Not saying you cant make a mistake but when in Griz country, keep a firearm within reach. Out of reach is worse than a club.
A 10MM is plenty powerful for a Wyoming size Griz that may run 600 lbs for a big one. But maybe marginal for an Alaskan Brown at 1000+ lbs. In Alaska I would start at a 44 Mag but my first choice would be a 500 S&W. Either way the bullets would be hard cast in a 44 and soft point flat nose or hollow point in a 50. ( I would still feel confident with a 10MM if that is what I had)

Love the 454 and 460 also but JMO.

Two things stand outin this account; A)In bear country, take that heavy old gun off while wallowing in bloody guts B) "Throw the gun to the guy being mauled by a bear as he will surely catch it and be able to make it work while I go for help.
Rampant attack of **** for brains. In fairness let me say no one is immune. I have my own story that could have taken the life of a friend.
Make a plan.If you think it could not possibly happen, make a plan.

Did we hear whether the magazine in the gun was empty or the gun had no magazine.... I must have missed that part of the story....
Hindsight sucks....but as a past guide..knowing I was with a client in bear country..that client would have had a a gun 'on' possession while hunting...then when going back to retrieve he would absolutely have a gun 'on' and absolutely ready to shoot......story being subjected to 'our version's' when we read or hear about things like this should tell us one simple fact...
We humans are no match for a grizzly, brown, or even a black bear if they really want to eat our ***...and when in a protection or food craze..good luck...
But being fully armed to preserve your life or someone else's life is adamant when guiding or being guided.....so in my sense of the story the guided that wanted this hunt is absolutely partially responsible for what happened...i know I sound harsh...but the guide was taking care of his duty to the client and animal he shot..
Being prepared..should mean more now to everyone..guides and clients....
Sh-t happens.......really fast.....and in most cases to fast for normal human abilities to respond......
I wish the family didn't lose their husband, dad......no good will ever come of it.......

Thanks for getting back to me with the info on the bullets, and also on the barrel; you just sold two barrels for that company. I was aware of Glock's warning on shooting led bullets in their guns. Thank you again, these treads are really great to read and get information from.

Be advised that KKM barrels have much tighter chambers than a stock Glock barrel. Some Ammo may not feed reliabky in them, especially under duress when your mechanical may not be on par.

Another option for deep penetrating Ammo is underwood Extreme defender, Extreme hunter or Extreme penetrator. They are CNC milled all copper bullets and typically penetrate upwards of 30" of gel from a 10mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts