Mark's Glock was empty

morning, carry is the persons choice. revolvers freeze up with
moisture. revolvers r made of steel!! glocks r polymer, very
few moving parts. the 10mm with 13 rounds is very lethel.
I only carry a glock, would carry a sig if I owned one.
I firmly believe in the glock system. justme gbot tum
I grieve for the families. JE is correct

If I'm in anyplace where there is dangerous game I'm carry enough weapon ( Glock, 10mm, Smith& Wesson .500 or Ruger .454) with one in the chamber or full cylinder and enough in the magazine to ensure my safety and the safety of whoever is with me. And OSHA or any other law wants to fine me well,, we'll deal with the law and whatever fines they want to impose after we come out alive.

Last edited:
..........The point I was trying to make was to be as prepared as possible and eliminate as many possibilities of failure as possible.

.............There will always be the what if's and he should haves. but the truth is it still happens and if anything good can come of it, We learn a lesson that might just save our life or someone else's..........J E CUSTOM

Seems to be folks that have never been around bears tend to lock up a bit. Seems after a certain amount of contact complacency can set in.

Operating the equipment is key, the best spray states 35', most are 20'. Closer than I'm willing to allow a bear in my space. Therefore I choose different equipment.

Too many people thinking a video camera renders them safe from bears.

A buddy of mine hunting bears with his uncle....they shot and hit a good sized bear right before dark...third guy showed with flashlites.. They tracked it to the creek and he crawled thru a hole in a beaver dam to make sure the bear hadnt crawled into it....found nothing inside the hole...above along the dry creek bed they split up looking for tracks...he went left and shined his lite into some brush..and a weird color in the brush put him on alert...then the eyes turned at him and charged....10 shots point blank range and it fell at his feet..still alive(him too)..the other guys ran over and put bullets thru the head of the bear to kill it.....
His pistol at the time was a Glock 10mm.....hollow point bullets....when they cut that bear up..not one bullet made it to the vitals...all bullets expanded and were wrapped up in the bears fat.....he said it was a huge black bear...he has killed many...and fleshed and mounted hundreds...he no longer carries a glock 10.....he now has a 44 mag titanium.......and practices a lot more often.....with solid point bullets......

For stopping power on Dangerous game you NEVER want a hollow point. Penetration is key. Hard cast all the way for me and hopping I never have to use it.

Feel bad for the family though. Not only for their loss but for all the negative exposure.

Has it ever been said what type of rounds were in his pistol...and if any bullets were found inside either of the bear.....

Are there any documented cases of anyone using a handgun to thwart a grizzly attack?

Yes. Of course. The most famous recent case is that of Phil Shoemaker, one of the most famous brown bear guides in Alaska, killing a brown bear/grizzly that charged him and a client while fishing. Just a couple of years ago. And he used... A 9mm Smith & Wesson! He did have some very specialized, deep-penetrating ammo and has killed a fair number of bears over the years so he knew what he was doing.

I'm sure there have been a number of bears stopped by 44's, 45's, etc... The 9mm kinda surprised me, but okay, I'll bow to Phil's expertise. Only know him very casually, but he's pretty much revered as one of the best brown bear guides in Alaska.

Regards, Guy

One thing I know with whatever you carry you better practice. Most guys buy a bear gun strap it on and feel protected like the large majority of handgun owners that have one for two legged predators. I have tested hard cast lead in 357 and 10mm on beef cows that we butcher shooting them in the head standing head on. Im getting at least 30" or more penetration through everything on around 500-600lbs beef. It works but you need to handle the firearm very quickly and accurately if to survive with a handgun. We carry them cause they are convenient not because they are Thors hammer

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.