LRH Logo Caps

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
For years I have been getting requests to make available logo wear.

Well, finally I am ready to proceed on some logo stuff. I plan to start with caps and then add something in the shirt area.

I am zeroing in on a cap style and quality level. I want the quality to be as high as any out there from outdoor web sites. Our guys are not your typical Wal-Mart shoppers. (Although I love to shop at Wal-Mart)

These pictures show a khaki, unstructured, low profile cap. It has a logo on the front and a different one on the back. The front logo is an all black version of what is now on our web pages. I changed it on the site recently to make it fit better on apparel. The rear logo will curve around where "Verhalen" now appears.

The logos will be done with the more expensive embroidery method rather than screen printed.

The clasp in back is all brass and will not be embossed. The clasp is not the buckle style also shown but rather is the one shown in the first picture of me. I forgot to tuck the end of the fabric into the brass thing-a-ma-jig.

Your comments are appreciated.

logo-cap-front-1.jpg

cap0381.jpg

cap386.jpg

caprear.jpg

I got the email and studied the thread/pics. I'll vote thumbs up with out comment except........and even buy a couple.

What's their bc, how about spin drift, can ya wear 'em to church?

There for a moment, well maybe less, I tho't that was ol' blue eyes under the cap.:D

Let's hear a verse of two of "I did it my way." :)

If that mug doesn't sell caps I don't know of one that will........(egads I love my humor:rolleyes:) :D:D

I would certainly like a hat. They make good contest giveaways for such things as "best hunting story".

I like long billed hats which that appears to be. I like the bill to settle on top of the scope tube and block stray light. I do not like the bill to be less than the eye relief of the scope. The older I get the more sensitive I am to glare.

I am not a big fan of low profile caps being as they do not seem to grip my head but I have some, in fact I have a cap of the same design as the one you show right up to the buckle. Its not a big deal to me if it is low profile. If it is windy, a cap will blow off no matter what. I had my orange cap blow off twice today while hunting.

The brass buckle is fine.

Embroidery is certainly better than stencil. Most of my "good" cap are embroidered. We have an antique hat and umbrella stand and mirror next to the front door and I keep my special caps there.

Len:

You may be sorry you asked.:)

Back when I used to work for a living, I supplied my guys with caps. They were the best I could get and in the end the quality far outweighed the slight additional cost. They were structured caps with embroidered front logos of our shop and had the pop in the hole type adjusters on the back. I found that the caps held their shape great and the solid pop in the hole back adjusters held up way better. I tried the soft type back bands like you show but found that, at least for us, they were very similar to a wet noodle in no time at all.

I went to a local supplier, bought the best caps they had with the best adjustment system we could find and they did the custom embroidery work. Embroidery is the only way to go. Once you give them the logo it's just entered into their computerized machine and they're done in no time. I just had to buy a minimum amount of caps to get all of the features I wanted at a reasonable price. A thing or two to look for is the bill should be substantial and retain its shape for the life of the cap, also look at the inner band. A top quality cap will have a very nice lined inner head band. The cost, over a years time, was really insignificant when compared to the cheaper caps and the guys took more pride in wearing them. The low profile caps we originally tried were never worn. The high quality, structured caps were constantly worn and quickly became an item that they knew better than to leave laying around as they would "disappear" immediately.

I also found that the guys preferred the summer type of cap with the back half vented. When the weather got cold enough for the summer style to be replaced, they went with something far more substantial and warmer than the same type only in a solid back.

Like you mentioned, the guys around here tend to gravitate towards the best stuff available and, at least for me, I feel the same way about caps, clothing etc. If I can shoot $6,000.00 guns then I can and would gladly pay whatever the difference was to get the best looking cap available.

Just my $ .02 worth.:):)

Thanks, guys. Dick, do you have a picture of the "structured" cap and the "solid pop in the hole back adjusters"?

This is a side shot a a new, never worn cap. I just opened it up and it's never been worn or formed to my pointed little noggin. The bill is actually longer than it looks in the picture.
DSC02015Small.jpg

This is the back adjuster I mentioned.
DSC02016Small.jpg

This shows the inner liner. It was very soft and comfortable.
DSC02017Small.jpg

They were made by Otto.
DSC02018Small.jpg

Well, for now I am thinking of going with a little dressier hat with the potential to be worn both in the field and on the street...or when Jim goes to the church bingo hall on Thursday nights. :)

heres my 2cents worth......i prefer the velcro adjusters.....they wont break your window glass if you have to resort to using them to swat a pesky fly while you are headed down the road.....i also like the idea of a dressier style....i wear a ball cap every day and i find my favorites are the low profile with velcro adjusters....i looked through my collection and never did find one that said "made in america".....that would certainly be a nice touch. my other suggestion would be to offer a summer/winter version ...put my name on the list for a couple when they are done......AJ

Jim, as Henry Ford once said, "Any color you want as long as it's khaki". :cool:

And they'll be ready in 4 to 6 weeks.

Hey Len, Guys. It's been a while. Hope everyones doing well.

For what it's worth I think logo hats are a great idea. I prefer the lo-pro style with the adjustmet just like the one in Len's first picture. I like the khaki (tan for those of us that are wearing red or o.d socks) with black logos but wouldnt mind o.d. with a tan logo either. Black with gunmetal blue logo perhaps? Just a thought.

Did I miss where a price was mentioned or are we waiting to hear from the supplier?

I also agree that a "Made in the USA" tag would be a well appreciated extra.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.