Looking for 28 ga turkey shells

6mm06guy

My son's first turkey hunt is coming up and my uncle let me borrow a little 28 ga. When looking for shells I couldn't find anything I liked. Would anyone who loads for them be interested in assembling some shells for me if I pay for the components ?

I hate to invest in loading equipment for one or 2 years with one gun.

why don't you try HeviShot Duck 4's or 6's in a 2 3/4" shell size
you will LOVE Them
We tried the 12 ga stuff, but he doesn't like the 13 ga recoil
I resently purchased some federal tss 410 loads to try, it works well in an old mossburg and awful in a h&r single shot. We're going to try the 410 and see how it works.

Contact BPI....look into the curmudgeon loads....
Or he might have just what you need...several guys using
ITX shot and thumping turkeys and geese with the 28 gauge...
Can also visit on 28 gauge society...lots of good ideas and loading info....last time I was on site I kind of remember someone talking about a new item at cabelas stores....

A regular ole #5 or #6 shot in a field load will kill a turkey. There wasn't always these "turkey loads"
and people killed turkeys all the time. Hevi-shot 2 3/4 #4 shot is 28 gauge you can get them online at Mack's Prairie wings.

I was not suggesting the 12 gauge Hevishot Duck offerings
but rather the 28 gauge....they are NON-tox and highly
effective

I would look for a 1200fps load of #6 and do a pattern test...should be pretty good with any 28 gauge full choke or modified out to 30 yards....and if you call it in closer...well...it will be just as dead...just more bloody.....
I did some hand loads a few years ago...my son at 9 and I were busting clays quite well....I went to truck and grabbed the rf and it said 50 yards....it was a 3/4+ oz. load...probably at about 1250fps...
it was #6 shot....they make a 15/16oz load now.....even 1oz.....but really all they do is give a few extra pellets and a bit more recoil...
My 28's are TriStars O/U at 4.8# and semi at 5.4#.....liteweight but I put SIMS pads on all guns..other than 22s...no sore shoulders or pinch points....just shoot....
Let your kid practice on a plastic Pepsi bottle...shooting at the area below the cap.....the excitement of seeing the bottle flung around will enticem' to shoot more.....pull the trigger as much as possible...
Another is a ball of some kind at the bottom of a little hill..shoot it..make it go up the hill..before it rolls down shoot again...good game to play.....except if the gun is a semi and you pull the plug....box of shells disappears really fast.....buy lots..offer them up on a shotgunners sight at a nickle a hull......

The Hevishot Duck shells are non-tox and hit super hard.
You could easily take a turkey even at an extended
range with a 28 gauge with those shells

I agree Johnnie.
The Hevishot is so effective and hits so hard. Especially in
a sub gauge shotgun. I would not use anything else

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.