Longest coyote kill. Gun and what state u live in.

Creedmore shooter: May I ask what powder you're using with those 53 V-Maxes? I recently got the same rifle, and have it shooting cloverleafs with those bullets and Benchmark, but fps is at 3600; suspect it is a light load, but do like the (relatively) mild report and accuracy. (Loading info with 53 VM/.22-250 is scarce, so one has to "freelance" a bit.)

Toby: My farthest coyote kill is only about 200 yards. Not a bunch of them in this immediate area, but enough to have killed off most of the groundhogs that I prefer to hunt. Here, one has to take the coyote shot that's available, whether it's 50 or 500 yards. I prefer the .204 Ruger, but I suspect efficient killing range much over that 200 yds. is pushing it on our big Ohio 'yotes. As I suffer effects from a severe shoulder injury and now can barely tolerate the recoil from even my .243s, therefore the .22-250 now (and maybe a fast-twist Swift down the road).

Last edited:
Creedmore shooter: May I ask what powder you're using with those 53 V-Maxes? I recently got the same rifle, and have it shooting cloverleafs with those bullets and Benchmark, but fps is at 3600; suspect it is a light load, but do like the (relatively) mild report and accuracy. (Loading info with 53 VM/.22-250 is scarce, so one has to "freelance" a bit.)

Toby: My farthest coyote kill is only about 200 yards. Not a bunch of them in this immediate area, but enough to have killed off most of the groundhogs that I prefer to hunt. One has to take the coyote shot that's available, whether it's 50 or 500 yards. I prefer the .204 Ruger, but I suspect efficient killing range much over that 200 yds. is pushing it on our big Ohio 'yotes. As I suffer effects from a severe shoulder injury and now can barely tolerate the recoil from even my .243s, therefore the .22-250 now (and maybe a fast/twist Swift down the road).

I was shooting cfe 223 with that bullet. My best load though was a 52 smk over 36.5 of imr4064 at 3825

These were two weeks ago. I live in Nevada though these weren't shot in Nevada. I was shooting a Larue .223 with some 50 gr Zmax I had loaded, and my buddy a 22-250. These were about 150 yds +-
IMG_5081.JPG

A little over 350 steps at night with a custom 17 remington shooting hammett 30.8 grain bullets with w760. She was sitting there looking at us for awhile and would not budge. I floated the crosshair just above her head and squeezed the trigger. Ended up hitting her in the throat and she never moved.. what a night that was.

Nice one @ cougartracks how was the bullet performance and what caliber does it best 22-250 or 223

When the student outruns the teacher....
We where out shooting rocks one fine afternoon and this gall walkt into view about a hundred yards farther out than Nathan had just made a 3" group at 1348yards
1457 yards is a long way out even for Wyoming. That is one fine Savage 300wsm he has and the load workup has been extensive.
1457view.jpg

View looking back wards
1457truck.jpg

620yd. In Colorado. Savage 22-250 53gr. V-max. Had a pack of 5 in a valley below us nailed the first one with the first shot, and ended up getting another one, sound was echoing just enough so they milled around for a bit. 2nd one took like 4 rounds 3round hit a leg 4th put him down he was 630ish.

Tennessee, Ruger Precision, 243 105 A max. I was scanning the back field and saw a yote going across the field. I did a female call and he stopped. I tried several different calls but he would not come. I think he may have cheeped up to me in the thicket and I didn't see him. Anyway he was going across the back and I got him to stop and look before he went into the thicket. I took the shot and nailed him. He was 482 yards. He was standing right in front of an Armadillo, I had shot a while ago at 487 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.