Long term game camera knowledge to share

Blancoalex

Anyone have some long-term game camera knowledge to share from bedding sites and major trails. Most info I find is from cameras setup on feeders only.

The biggest issue I have with running cams 24/7/365 is animal damage. You name critter, they all seem to like to taste of plastic! Next is weather protection also seems to break down over time. Then insects🤬.

Cams set on bedding areas are best if set higher in trees (+8') to eliminate inquisitive does and young bucks plus doesn't alarm as much. Trails are not as easy as it would seem. Sunrise and sunset direction, clear unobstructed view of trails, false triggers, can be pain.

Anyone have some long-term game camera knowledge to share from bedding sites and major trails. Most info I find is from cameras setup on feeders only.
about 2 years of data in one spot but its from Oregon coast range Blacktail and they dont pattern easily at all to give any data. Your either in their spot or your not, they flourish all year then completely dissappear all of Oct. The big bucks will only show up once a year if your lucky they do not stay like the spikes or forks do for the summer.

Hogs are dumb creatures of habit and opportunity with very keen sense of smell and hearing, but nearly as blind as a mole.

Trails are easy to find and follow, but you'll blow your chances if you go traipsing down one of their routes.

They require shade and water during the day, some place secluded, find that, their wallow and you'll probably push them out of that area. Don't worry about what they do when they aren't at your feeder, find their routes and set up cameras to alert you they are on the way. Leave them alone in their "camp" and you will be able to kill more of them, push them out of their camp and you'll have to rely on passing migrant pigs. Again, they are stupid habitual creatures, basically us on 4 hooves.

Look at the dates on the camera images, I built and baited the figure six trap on Thursday night at 7-8pm, they were in the trap at 5am Friday morning.

They have crappy eyesight, excellent hearing and sense of smell.

In the 90s, I killed enough hogs to feed just about every member of the family, a half dozen co-workers and I had three 21cuft freezers full of nothing but pig. I ate so much wild pig, I can't stand it anymore. They get shot and carted off to the pasture for the buzzards and worms now.

Look at fences for the places they cross, you'll find the hair, use rubber boots, latex gloves and avoid contaminating the area that you plan to hunt.

I hit up grocery stores for rotten fruits and vegetables, old bread and other soft goods that go bad, most will discreetly allow you to pack it out, just be prepared to do it daily.

The processor I used was great, I eventually made a deal with them to take 1 or 2 pigs a week for the workers there and for the fat to make venison sausage.

I have killed or trapped them by just about every method known, I have been busted more times than I care to count, watched them do things that would make you shake your head, shot big big pigs and lots of piglets and in the end, the population was still huge. I have killed them with a 22 Mag, 450 Marlin, every caliber in between, bows, dogs and knives and even a spear once. I hate pigs, almost as much as I hate my whore of an ex-wife.

I have a few ways I would like to kill them with now that would probably not be acceptable to the neighbors, they don't care how, just as long as I still do, but I think even these 2 methods would draw their ire.

These five were tearing up chicken coops, feed bins and hay stacks, they never left the property after they broke open the trap, 16ft cattle panels tied with galvanized 14g electric fence wire on 7ft t-posts in 3 - 4 spots evenly spaced top to bottom. It got a little western for a few seconds as they broke the trap and came straight at me, 6mm ARC to the cranium at the end of the muzzle brake is truly a disgusting outcome. Two 5rd mags and from first round to last wasn't 5 -7 seconds.
0C341F3E-196A-4E0F-800D-D97098D755A1.jpeg
E5EB83ED-8CA3-4F41-B46F-EC9403840812.jpeg

0B24F8A3-A677-4F17-AC8D-E38B92E8FDBD.jpeg
73E4CE49-82F5-4895-95E8-AA24A37AE9BB.jpeg
B6CE9FA1-BBC0-4B7A-8E28-959AB60DCBF2.jpeg
53DA10E0-2189-4043-961B-050B1CE84B5E.jpeg
4A4E4550-A722-4FAB-9809-A360FBB0D2F7.jpeg
E8E928B3-2094-419D-92AA-3CA70A1E8337.jpeg
55DF74C4-6E73-48A6-99B2-77A33E19D840.jpeg

Last edited: