Long range handgun scope?

mudygmc

I am starting a built on a long range handgun. Recently acquired a bunch of reloading shooting and gun parts. Looking at what I had sitting there I came up with a 300wby in a savage 110 LH action. I have a 16in 1in10 pacnor coming for it. Ordered a Stock from rifle stocks . com. Its a pistol grip rifle model. Plan to remove butt stock and shape as I like. So this will hopefully be a rear grip long range magnum pistol. I am curious as to what most guys run for optics on rear grip pistols. I see some guys run rifle scopes? Not sure how they do this. I have never tried anything of the sort. Cant believe eye relief would even be close. Atleast I dont feel comfortable enough to get the scope that close to my eye. More than likely always be a bench or prone pistol so arms will probably be extended. I have a couple higher variable handgun scopes on revolvers and theyre ok. Just Looking for a little more for this setup. Wondering if anybody has experience or ideas on where I should head for optics. I figured it would be a unique project to try. If it doesnt do what I want really only out a stock so no big deal. Any thoughts or info qould be appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

So, as for the scope issue, you're best bet is probably the Burris 3-12 pistol scope. It's probably the best for long eye relief. I know lots of the LR pistol guys run rifle scopes, but probably not from a 300WM.

As a side not, be careful turning a rifle action into a pistol of any sort, that's where the ATF gets all worked up. You may be ok running an over 16" barrel, but the over all length thing might get ya. I use a 16.25" barrel in a couple of my savage striker pistols, but they are actually pistols, not converted rifle actions.

The burris 3-12 is kind of what im thinking. From what I gather a 16in barrel and 26in Oal is need for it to be legal. I went 16in barrel plus brake. I measured one of my spare 110 actions at 9.25 so I should be plenty good on length. Ive shot lots of big bore handguns. Some revolvers but mainly encore and contender frames. Ive never ran a,bolt action style before though. Kind of curious on the recoil. Do they drive straigjt back like an Encore or roll like a revolver? Either way I think this is going to be a fun little project. If it doesnt work out in the end. Im out 150 for a stock and have a short little rifle.

if your brake is good, the gun should recoil pretty straight. if it's light enough, it'll probably twist up and to the right a bit, but not too bad. I run a 30-06 barrel on my striker with a suppressor, and the recoil is pretty straight with a bit of flip. the suppressor helps considerably with the recoil. I think that the left handed bolt will be an added benefit, as you won't have to break your trigger grip hand to cycle the bolt and reload.

1in10 in a 16in barrel will hopefully like the 160-170 class bullets. Im actually pretty excited for the barrel and stock to show up. Both are 8-10 weeks out though. Be deep into hunting season before parts get here. Looks like it will be a good winter project. I guess I dont exactly know what brake it is. I had pac-nor fit their radial brake to the barrel. Ive hot a lathe but pretty sure they are way more talented than me at running it. Be my first pistol build so we will see how it goes.

if you're shooting from the ground, I'd definitely go with a good side discharge brake. if you touch off a 60k-psi 300WM round from a 16" barrel with a radial, you'll be wearing a ghillie suit by the time you're done. My 16.5" 30-06 will run a 168gr AMAX at 2750 with IMR4350. it's a top end load, but not over any specs. I'd bet that 300WM would run the same bullet a good 150fps faster, hopefully.

Pretty sure the 300wby will do more than I need it to. Thinking just running a little faster powder and lighter bullets for the short barrel. I usually shoot off a mat or bench. We will see how bad it is. Miight have to switch to a side port magnum style brake.

The Burris pistol scope is alright, but I think you'd be better off with a rifle scope. The optics on mid range rifle scopes are noticeably better than even the best handgun scope and it becomes more apparent the farther you shoot.

If your gun has a muzzle brake then the recoil and eye relief with a rifle scope won't be an issue. This is my 8.5# 338/375 Ruger shooting 250gr bullets at around 2750fps with a 4.5-14x Leupold VX-3 on 12x. Even shooting at an odd up hill angle I'm nowhere near getting hit by the scope. Just start on a lower magnification and work up until you're comfortable. I've found that 12-14x works best for me on hunting weight SPs shot off of a bipod. On the heavier guns or guns shot off of a front rest I can get up around 20-25x without an issue.

Also, don't rule out the heavy bullets in your 16" 300 Weatherby; I think you'd do really well with the 180 class bullets. I used the 200-215gr bullets in an 18" 300 RUM SP and it would run with a lot of 24-26" barreled 300 Win Mag rifles.

I have not checked load data yet, but I typically use the same powders a rifle guy would use. I would probably use 168 up to the 200 class bullets. In cartridges like the 7 LRM, 7mm Dakota and the 300 RUM, I will use powders like H-1000, Retumbo and Reloader 33. A really good brake like the Holland Radial Baffle would be worth it for that type cartridge size.

When using a rifle scope do you choke up on it that much or just center the little visiable circle in the scope? Ive always just ran handgun scooes on handguns. When i hold a rifle scope out in front of me at arms length I get a little circle I xan see through. Rifle scopes do dominate handgun so id like to go that route. How much affect xoes objective bell have on field of view through a rifle scope? A 4-16x50 would be easy to find in the 3-500 dollar range. I dont want to get a pile of money tied up into this at the start. Im really excited about this little project. I love long range shooting and big bore handguns. Combining them should be a blast. Ive got a pile of 30cal bullets around. I just figured start in the 160 class with the short barrel and trying to keep recoil down. 200+ stabilize well in that short of barrel? Just curious all my long range rifles are 26-30in barrels. I appreciate all the little tips.

with a good brake, you'll be able to be right up on the rifle scope at normal eye relief. It may be a little unnerving at first, but with the brake and a nice heavy handgun, recoil will be minimal and you won't have to worry about getting bit.

Most of my customized Strikers wear 17" barrels, and if you're going to stay with the 300 mag, I'd use a HV barrel, at least. You'll like the weight, add a brake would be great, too.

As far as a stock goes, I would investigate a cut down Choate. They're nice and heavy, fit great, and easy to mod.

Pics are mandatory.

Lary
Tinkerer

Barrel is a 16in HV with radial brake from pac Nor. Stock will be a modified laminate pistol grip stock. I think it will be a good combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.