Lomnger Range in N Texas

lobo6942

HELP!

My favorite 500 yard range in N Texas was forced to close early this year. My STWs and a couple of other rifles are crying for something long again. They are tired of little holes at 100 yards.

Anyone know a decent range of 500 + in north Texas, within an hour or so of Dallas area, that does not require a $1000 + membership fee?

That's money that can go into my next build!! gun)

Thanks,
Max

I think we are left with Edmond, OK, Tulsa, New Braunfels, and Houston. There's one near Cisco and Houston.

Wish I could afford the land, we need a good range for events.

Larry
Tinkerer

Re: Longer Range in N Texas

I am afraid you may be right Tinkerer!
You would think a market this size could support a good range with a few long lines, but all I can find are area few semi private with questionable facilities and reports.

Used to go to a nice little range near Leonard that had 500, but he was forced to close by his neighbors. They were threatening suits.

The TAC Pro range is located 60 miles west of the Metroplex on I 20 near Mingus. Ranges to 1000 yds. Shooter may shoot to 500 yds, but must qualify for anything longer. Only drawback is $200.00 per year membership. Not sure if they still have a single day option. Very nice facility and Gunshop.

$200.00 per year is DIRT CHEAP! I suggest for those that think it's TOO MUCH.....to find out just how much the insurance fee would be PER YEAR to cover one's *** not to mention the maintenance of said facility much less having to put up with all the BS that would go along with having a public facility!!

Here is a great new range that I have been shooting at.

Lonestar Gun Club & Redneck Resort

You do have to become a member to shoot on the Long (600 yd) range. It is so convenient though. 20 min. out of Dallas in Mesquite. If anyone is familiar with Gibson's Outpost, it is NOT the same range or the same people. Do not be confused by the fact that it is within a 1/2 mile of that place. Derek who runs it is a great guy. They are still dialing things in and making tweeks. Lloyd Hill was out there a while ago and ranged there far targets at 588 yards. The next day Derek sent him a text with a pic. of the heavy equipment pushing the berm back. They are that serious about providing a great experience. They also have all kinds of shorter ranges and tactical training if that is your bag.

This may not be the cheapest option, but if the convenience means I get to shoot that much more it is worth it and I am going to support them.

Thanks TX Badger I will check them out.
If Lloyd will shoot there it must have a few things going for it. When I grow up I want to shoot like LLoyd!

But unfortunately Lonestar got taken to court, took on a partner to fight the court case and modify the place, and then collapsed, leaving all paying members out in the cold. Bummer, because it was a great place to shoot. Probably my favorite actual range ever. Otherwise, in my younger years we used to just go out into the desert, blm or national forest lands and shoot at distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts