List of Cartridges for ELRH?

While I would agree some folks are taking long shots beyond their abilities at game. But the majority of long range hunters imo do not exceed their abilities. You don't have to shoot much at long range to quickly realize how much wind or conditions can throw your shot. Or poor range estimates. Sure we see these kind of shots being taken at game and poor hits or multiple shots taken. I've seen the same for short range. With the internet and social media now this stuff just gets around fast.

A list of cartridges acceptable for maximum 1,000 yard shots at say deer or cow elk or smaller would be nice. (We are talking ELRH here, after all.)

->But who says what is the minimum energy level for these animals?
->Which have the flattest trajectory COMBINED with the least wind drift?
->Let's at least say the .338 Lapua Magnum/Norma magnum are the upper limit of cartridge size.
->Or are we going to go .416 Barrett. etc?) I suggest only those cartridges for which expanding hunting bullets are available. (i.e., not Match hollow points.

Let's at least first suggest cartridges and get a list going then argue later, perhaps in another related thread.

OK, I suggest 6.5 PRC & 6.5/284 as a lower limit. (Read the article on the 6.5 PRC here at LRH.)

Eric B.
P.S. Guess I should have said MINIMUM 1,000 yard shots. Didn't re-read Len's sticky.
BUT... look in the ANTELOPE forum at the 1,225 yard shot made with a 7mm Rem. mag. That's true ELRH.
A list of cartridges acceptable for maximum 1,000 yard shots at say deer or cow elk or smaller would be nice. (We are talking ELRH here, after all.)

->But who says what is the minimum energy level for these animals?
->Which have the flattest trajectory COMBINED with the least wind drift?
->Let's at least say the .338 Lapua Magnum/Norma magnum are the upper limit of cartridge size.
->Or are we going to go .416 Barrett. etc?) I suggest only those cartridges for which expanding hunting bullets are available. (i.e., not Match hollow points.

Let's at least first suggest cartridges and get a list going then argue later, perhaps in another related thread.

OK, I suggest 6.5 PRC & 6.5/284 as a lower limit. (Read the article on the 6.5 PRC here at LRH.)

Eric B.
P.S. Guess I should have said MINIMUM 1,000 yard shots. Didn't re-read Len's sticky.
BUT... look in the ANTELOPE forum at the 1,225 yard shot made with a 7mm Rem. mag. That's true ELRH.

Look at the grief piled on the fellow that used a spear. Stick bow, guys hate on the recurve guys, that hate on the compound guys, and they all hate the crossbow guys.
A lot of good rifles out there by folks using modern machinery, not some pedal powered device.
Do what works for you, and don't worry about ego driven video rants from self appointed guru's.

Look at the grief piled on the fellow that used a spear. Stick bow, guys hate on the recurve guys, that hate on the compound guys, and they all hate the crossbow guys.
A lot of good rifles out there by folks using modern machinery, not some pedal powered device.
Do what works for you, and don't worry about ego driven video rants from self appointed guru's.
+1
Tom

Never said not to get a rifle that's capable, just make sure you're capable of choosing one with the basic understanding of all factors involved. Ballistics determines the rifle, time, practice and research determines the capabilities of the shooter. If you don't know ballistically what's needed, you won't know squat about what those cartridge numbers mean.
To sum it up,
If you gotta ask what rifle/cartridge, you're not ready for ELR hunting.

I believe in sharing of ideas. Whether you think you can bullseye at 10k yards or 10 feet. Even a novice ELRH needs opinions from others. As they say "no question is a dumb question". The idea is not to discourage others from communicating.
I have been shooting accurately for many decades now and it started before I spent 24 yrs in the Army, where I also upped my game with practice using multiple types of weapons and I also qualified expert and received my German Schtzenshnur award. With that said, many people have helped me succeed in my shooting endeavors.

what does ELR mean ? those three letters should erase all doubt that it means a long friggin way out there and not dictated by a cartridges or shooters capability to perform at their worst/best .....

"Extreme Long Range" self explanatory and needs not be soy-ed up for those who can't perform or have the proper equipment

get a bigger stick

I wonder what Gunsmith Dan Lija would say.He was shooting LR before they called it anything.Around thirty years ago I remember talking to these cowboys on a rugged mountain,I say how far where your shots and they say 1/4 mile plus.I see they where sporting 340 Wbys.Thats when I went to 338.My son piled 3 animals with said rifle this year ranges in 600 type,one a real old bull. Ive taken alot of game since then,40+,elk,moose,bears,deer,goats,etc..Handed down my 340,my main hunting rifle 338 NM,since they came out,backup same which I loan and like taken alot with that rifle too.

Last edited:
wow...I'm so excited to read another ****ing contest about the definition of ELR.....its such a riveting topic.....Zzzzzzzzz. :rolleyes:
------------------------------------
My vote for a good long range elk hunting cartridge would be the 300 Norma Magnum and improved versions of the case. Good energy at extended ranges with heavy bullets and less recoil than larger 338 or CT cases.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.