List of Cartridges for ELRH?

Really Edd??

So the hunter in the ANTELOPE forum that made a 1,225 yard kill with a 7mm Rem. mag. was just pretending? Ask the antelope if he was pretending.

Eric B.
Don't confuse shots of opportunity with specifically choosing to hunt at elr. An antelope doesn't take much neither would a coyote or other similar shot. An 800# elk or even a big adult buck has a tenacity for life that far exceeds that of smaller game.

OK, bull elk and moose are at the top of the big game animals in size and weight. So maybe re-define your pronouncement to say "...he is just pretending if out is a bull elk or moose."
Because I'd say a big mule deer buck would be DRT at 1,300 yards if properly hit with a 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X from a 6.5 PRC coming out of a 26" barrel.

Eric B.

Last edited:
OK, bull elk and moose are at the top of the big game animals in size and weight. wo maybe re-define your pronouncement to say "...he is just pretending if out is a bull elk or moose."
Because I'd say a big mule deer buck would be DRT at 1,300 yards if properly hit with a 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X from a 6.5 PRC coming out of a 26" barrel.

Eric B.
What's your energy and what is the established envelope of that bullet? In both cases it is below the acceptable minimums for a 100% positively humane kill. Using 2900fps as is the stated velocity of that round your at 1000ft/# at about 1000 yds.Your bleeding speed to get that bullet opened up so it can transfer it's energy. If your comfortable with wounding animals knowing that your at very best of circumstances, your below marginal ballistically. You go right ahead. Please make sure your post that result as well. I'm sure you will get a fantastic welcoming response.

A cartridge for ELR elk hunting.

First question to ask yourself. What's the smallest cartridge bullet combo that will still do major terminal damage to elk at these ranges if the animal is hit in the guts. So that the animal is recoverable not to far from where it was shot in a worst case scenario. It's hard enough to go track and recover an animal that was shot DRT at 1200 yards in thick areas.

To me that should be a rifle that weighs min 14-15pds.
Min caliber .338 300gr bullet at 2950fps.

When talking ELRH and 1000 yards as the minimum range in areas that elk live, where winds and terrain can be challenging.
If your off on your wind call 1mph at 1200yds that's 5" of error with a 300gr pill at 2950. Not including shooter error, the animal moving, environmental changes, or being off a few yards with your rangefinder yardage. Yea you can make a 1200 yard vital shot with a 6.5 PRC and take down an elk but things can easily go wrong on these shots with so many variables at play. So you need insurance in the form of a lot of lead and a bullet with a large frontal diameter.

In terms of power, portability, and shootability. The Defense EDGE LRKM is a nice package for an ELR Hunting rifle that will be packed.

There are several smiths on this forum who make their living designing cartridges to hunt big game at ELR like Shawn and Kirby. As well as guys like Broz who have the high harvest numbers, documented terminal performance with various cartridges and calibers, and experience making these shots on game. That's who I would inquire for a recommendation on build with these goals. I can assure you a 6.5 PRC or 7mm would not be mentioned in that conversation.

I think discussions like this run the risk of often going around in circles. IMO, whether you call it LRH or ELRH, a list of criteria seems to be more important then a list of cartridges:
1. A cartridge that delivers sufficient energy/velocity for the target game with a well proven bullet capable of penetrating and effecting sufficient tissue/organ damage. I have personally found the 1800FPS/1000FP a good quideline for medium game. 1800FPS/1500FP for large game. Defining less then 1000 yards as LR and +1000 yards for ELRH also seems to be a good quideline for game hunting purposes. Developing a common language helps in discussions. The "shooters" may have different criteria or language.
2. A rifle capable of delivering first shot accuracy to within the vital zone of the target animal under well understood conditions.
3. A shooter well practiced with sufficient skills to execute 1 and 2 above. I compete, shoot, and hunt at long range. IMO, hunting success with live targets is far more difficult and complex, and rifle/cartridge compatibility with the individual is an important factor.

Last edited:
I think discussions like run the risk of often end up going around in circles. IMO, whether you call it LRH or ELRH, a list of criteria seems to be more important then a list of cartridges:
1. A cartridge that delivers sufficient energy/velocity for the target game with a well proven bullet capable of penetrating and effecting sufficient tissue/organ damage. I have personally found the 1800FPS/1000FP a good quideline for medium game. 1800FPS/1500FP for large game. Defining less then 1000 yards as LR and +1000 yards for ELRH also seems to be a good quideline for game hunting purposes. Developing a common language helps in discussions. The "shooters" may have different criteria or language.
2. A rifle capable of delivering first shot accuracy to within the vital zone of the target animal under well understood conditions.
3. A shooter well practiced with sufficient skills to execute 1 and 2 above. I compete, shoot, and hunt at long range. IMO, hunting success with live targets is far more difficult and complex, and rifle/cartridge compatibility with the individual is an important factor.
100% agree.

Yeah, the day my .300 Win mag (with 230 gr. Berger Hybrid pills) is not good for 1,200 yard elk is the day I hang it up.

**This "attitude" that a .38 caliber bullet is absolutely necessary for ELRH is, IMHO, pretty arbitrary. It does not take into account game size or delivered energy.

I may not be "good" for that distance ethically but the rifle/cartridge combo is. I'd have to switch my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 scope W/ H59 reticle from my Ruger Precision Rifle to the Browning A-Bolt but with the Nightforce Uni-mount that's no problem.

FINALLY, I am concerned that some people with unlimited budgets (and unlimited egos) may buy a Tracking Point rifle/scope combo and feel they can hit anything they can see.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I think this video explains my sentiments exactly;
FT.

My sentiments:
upload_2018-11-13_12-51-44.png

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.