Light bullets in 280AI

Cbhunter

Is anyone using light bullets in their 280AI. I have a small frame 16 year old son that's fascinated with the cartridge, but he wants to run 140gn bullets on whitetail and antelope. I know next to nothing about the round, and have been reading up on it all day before we buy this rifle, but I'm not finding much about it with lighter bullets. Seems like it would be a nice flat shooting, low recoil round on paper. What's do your real world results look like?

140's will work well for him. I load the now discontinued 139 Hornady interbond using IMR 4831 at around 3100 fps. It's worked well on mule deer, antelope and whitetail.
Depending on distances he will be shooting and how he handles the recoil you may want to look at the 120 ballistic tip for a little less recoil. I have no experience with this combo yet but it's in the works.

There's definitely going to be a bump up in recoil compared to the 6.5 CM.
If not braked I would lean towards the 120's until he adjusted. Just my opinion.
Most likely will be a Browning xbolt with a muzzle break. I don't want him to develop bad habits, but I do want to fuel the fire he has burning to get out to the range and woods. The boy is 6' 140#. I think he can handle this rifle, but time will tell.

I find the 140 class bullets to be a sweet spot for my 280ai. My daughter (est. 120lbs) has no problem with the recoil. I assume you reload. If you don't, finding off the shelf ammo may be a challenge.
This is very encouraging.

The worst part is I already bought a 6.5 PRC thinking he'd shoot it, but he got a 6.5 Creedmoor when everyone was crazy over them, and a couple guides we talked to didn't want him to bring that, so he's kinda stung and afraid the 6.5 PRC will turn out the same way. I've tried to tell him it's not the same, but he's got the 280AI in his head and he might have gotten a bit of stubbornness honestly.

This is very encouraging.

The worst part is I already bought a 6.5 PRC thinking he'd shoot it, but he got a 6.5 Creedmoor when everyone was crazy over them, and a couple guides we talked to didn't want him to bring that, so he's kinda stung and afraid the 6.5 PRC will turn out the same way. I've tried to tell him it's not the same, but he's got the 280AI in his head and he might have gotten a bit of stubbornness honestly.
Never Sell, the 6.5 PRC "Short" as,. It's NEAR the .270 WSM for,. Killing Power.
Using, 140 grain, Elite Hunter, Berger's at, 3,100 FPS,. It'll Kill chit out to,.. 800-900+ Yards !
Like, Luis said, the 120 gr. NBT's work Great, in most 7 MM's,. But they, won't "Reach Out" quite like, the High BC, Berger 140's,.. "Do" !
I use, the 120 gr NBT's in My, 5 pound, 7 x 30 Waters, T/C Contender 21" Rifle,. LOW Recoil and very, Accurate !
PS; Guides, NEED to Stick to Guiding,. IF, they think that, the 6.5 PRC, is,.. a "Wimp" !

Last edited: