Leupold VX-3i or VXR?

Elkwonder

I am in the process of clearing out some of my scopes and replacing them with the Leupold with CDS system. I am currently trying to decide between two scopes, and am having a hard time deciding. I figure lots of you guys have experience with Leupold scopes and might have some useful input. The two models I am looking at are...
1. VXR 4-12x40 firedot with cds
2. VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with cds

I am aware that the VXR has firedot which is nice, but not sure how practical it is in actual hunting situations, and I don't like the fact that it doesn't have side focus.
I am also a tad concerned that the firedot is just something else to "go wrong" years down the road. I see lots of 20-30 year old scopes going strong, and can't help but wonder if they had been equipped with lighted reticles back then, would they still be working thirty years later....doubtful ....lol

Also the VX-3i supposedly has better glass as well as side focus.
The VX-3i has a slightly smaller duplex which would be better for longer shots, but "may" get washed out in low light in brush. Also not sure if BOTH reticles are etched or not.

Right now, I think I am leaning towards the VX-3i for the better glass and side focus, not to mention not having to worry about the illumination failing years down the road....lol

I was hoping someone of you guys and gals had some opinions on these two scope that may help me decide between the two. Thanks

I don't have first hand experience, but your statement holds logic. If you plan on shooting distance parallax adjustment is a requirement.

I came here to ask this same specific question and see if anyone has hands on with the new vx-3i. I emailed Leupold a couple of times and asked about glass between the two, my responses were:

"The VX3i has newer glass and will out perform and reduce glare. This is not to say the VXr is poor as it has excellent glass and I still use one my 338 out here in the coast range."

And

"The VX-3i has better lens coatings for low light use. However, the fiber optic lit center aiming point of the VX-R scope will give you a more defined aiming point in low light."

Really curious to hear personal experience with them both.
Sam

I've got the vxr with the firedot on one of my varmint rifles and love it. The red dot really helps when critters are moving threw the brush and you need to find the crosshairs quickly.

Well, I decided I did not want to make a compromise between the vx-3i and the vx-r in either direction. So I just ordered a vx-6 with firedot duplex so I get the best of both worlds. This is the most expensive piece of glass I have ever purchased by far, still feeling queasy over that "submit order" click of the mouse :D

After having the vx6 for better than a month and using day and night, I can say that if I was forced to pick between the vx3i and the vxr (for the firedot), I would buy the vx3i. The firedot is nice at dusk, especially for moving or smaller targets, but even on coyotes and foxes at night, I found myself just not really needing it. So if the vx3i has the better glass (like the leupold reps say), I would take the better glass over the firedot. ( but the vx6 is awesome if you can step up to that price point)

I have a 3x9x40 VXR Firedot I mounted on my Colt M4 AR. I can't say anything really bad about it after doing some target shooting, I haven't shot at any game yet. The illumination feature works but it takes some getting used to. The button on mine has to be pressed just right to activate it and change settings. It does have a motion sensor that cuts it off after the weapon is stationary after a given time which saves the battery. The scope has clarity all the way to the edges and is very bright and has a friendly eye box, very easy to center on. The elevation and windage graduations are precise as should be expected from a Leupold Scope in this price range. I only have one Leupold scope and I would put it right in the middle of my quality/economy range for what it's worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.