lets hear it pa boys,howd ya do"ridge to ridge"?

len,
first, many of us know who hunts where for the most part. so standing in our yard, i know when darryl cassel shoots, even though its off aways. likewise with others i know.
most of those valleys are wide enough to put the bullet up in the air aways, so branches can be a problem, as kevin indicated.
its imperative to shoot while you have a shot and not waste time. 1 step and he's behind a big tree, and it could be over. so keep the lead flying while you can is the general rule. diagnose the reasons later.
most of the guns are single feed, some dont have ejectors or bolt stops, so a guy whoes all thumbs and excited can have problems.
shooters like the webers dont have these problems, due to their williamsport experience. so when they shoot, the pace is different from others you hear. they shoot at a deer like they shoot in a match. probably without even realizing it.
now kevin on the other hand sneaks up on them till he's close enough to pop em in the head with one shot.
i never heard how many that mile shot took, but id bet more than 1.
KEVIN, if i said jake was running the camera, would i be close.

Sorry Ernie, I haven't got the mile kill in yet. 1515 yards back in 2006 is as far as I've gotten on a deer so far. My good friend John was running the camera, and he gets a little too excited when he sees deer in the glasses he forgets all about the camera operations. Your right about having to take the shot when you can, I let a bear walk off the mountain from 1100 yards to 1500 this year because I kept waiting for a better shot that never presented itself. But I still will try to make the 1 shot kill, not shoot, see where I hit and correct from there. Hopefully next time I'm up to the cabin I'll get to run into you.

Last edited:
kevin,
that damned darryl lied again. he told me it was a mile. still further than i can shoot though.
bear are a different ball game entirly. take anything, because they usually wont stop. in fact its best to have a free for all and everybody shoot. hopefully he'll run into 1 of them.

Hey Boyd, haven't heard from you in quite a while, thought maybe you fell in a deep hole and couldn't get out. That's a nice deer, did you get that with the .300 WSM or the 6.5 Heaton? That buck sure looks like one I've been seeing cross the road by the river bridge where you and I went bear hunting several years ago. Am I correct? If so that's a pretty steep downhill shot to the valley. Congrats again. Did Jenna get out hunting with you?
Hi Kevin...Had a rough go of it for a while...Gettin better now..Kevin,I shot him with my 300 ultra.I pull the wsm barrel off my light gun and put the ultra barrel on...I shot that buck up around Beech Creek.Haven't got up to the other spot for a few years.Jena was with me up until about 5 minutes before I shot the buck.It was supposed to be hers.She had to go to the bathroom.She jumped on the 4 wheeler and went about a mile down the hollow to the house of the people that own the land.The buck was watching her go down the hollow on the 4 wheeler when I found him.He took a jump or two toward the thick patch of woods and stopped..From the time I saw him til he was on the deck was less than a minute.Saw him,ranged him,spun the gun on the tripod spun the clicks and pow...Lights out:D...Jena said she was never gonna pee again:)

Well, I'll be D'd, so that's Boyd Heaton! Your daughter is way cuter and probably out shoots ya once in awhile. If I recall correctly she has the niftiest trigger slap I've ever seen. (an envy emoticon goes here)

Howdy Boyd, haven't heard from ya in years.

Good shootin'. It's good to hear that you guys have quite a culture continuing to develop.

Looks like I'm gonna have to go back to Butler or Clarion counties to get anything killed.:rolleyes:

Is Baldeaglexxx still hanging in there. I remember sending him some Lost Rivers for his 270 that didn't shoot worth a squat.:)

Have yurself a super new year.
Yep she is somewhat cuter.Out shoots me more often than not.When a trigger is about 3oz not much slapping involved:D...Yep BaldEagle is still next door...Don't see him much anymore though.Works weird hours.Those LRB bullets shot pretty good for a shotgun:D

kevin,
that damned darryl lied again. he told me it was a mile. still further than i can shoot though.
bear are a different ball game entirly. take anything, because they usually wont stop. in fact its best to have a free for all and everybody shoot. hopefully he'll run into 1 of them.
This pic was taken about 10 minutes or so after we killed a bear just to the right of the pine in the middle of the pic.We watched the bear come out of the hollow and walk up the ridge and hook a right just above the pine and stopped only once. And It was a permanant stop.The guy doing the shooting said he was amazed.All he could hear was the clicks of the scope.He was following the bear with the gun and I was watching the bear in my glasses and putting clicks on the gun without looking away from the bear.Guess it helps to know the area your hunting and how your gun works.The bear stopped,and before I could get the word(NOW) out of my mouth the ultra roared and MR Bear met Mr 210 JLK:D
100_0304.jpg

nice job boyd. im guessing around 600? nice camera setup also. ive never gotten into that. your eyes must be pretty spread out, as both sights are still on the spacemasters.
ive only taken 1 bear, and that was a similar event. we saw him first at about 100 ft. he saw us at same time we saw him. down the hill across a road, and up the side we were looking at. i picked him up about 1/3 way up. didnt think he would stop. we had walked in there and no rangefinder. we have a book w/ various yardages for spots like that. he finally stopped, and my son said 7 to 750. i held the 700 dot on top of his shoulder w/ my 7x300 sporter, and down he went. pure luck. i was 70 at the time. and had several misses in earlier years. jerry was with us, and it happened so fast he never even found the damned thing untill after he was dead.

nice job boyd. im guessing around 600? nice camera setup also. ive never gotten into that. your eyes must be pretty spread out, as both sights are still on the spacemasters.
ive only taken 1 bear, and that was a similar event. we saw him first at about 100 ft. he saw us at same time we saw him. down the hill across a road, and up the side we were looking at. i picked him up about 1/3 way up. didnt think he would stop. we had walked in there and no rangefinder. we have a book w/ various yardages for spots like that. he finally stopped, and my son said 7 to 750. i held the 700 dot on top of his shoulder w/ my 7x300 sporter, and down he went. pure luck. i was 70 at the time. and had several misses in earlier years. jerry was with us, and it happened so fast he never even found the damned thing untill after he was dead.
It was 675 yards.The sight on the right spacemaster has been cut off.Just does not look like it in the pic.I have two bear kills on video.Well,I have some pretty good audio.My glasses and camara are pointed to the same spot if my glasses are centered on the target.When we killed both those bears there was only two of us both times.And its very hard to run the gun,a camera and spot all at the same time.I'm pretty good.But I'm not that good.:DThe 2nd one happened so fast I didn't get the camera on til it was already dead

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.