Leopold vx5hd

Buckdown

Ive been running nightforce for awhile and have been very confident in it. So I've got a new hunting build and want to stay around 20oz and im looking at a vx5. The questions is how is there tracking? Not concerned about the glass ect.it's all about the dial and tracking for me.

I have five VX-5HD 3-15x44s on lightweight hunting rigs and ARs. All of them perform excellently in regards to optical and mechanical performance. The tracking has been great for consistent impacts to 1000 yards.

I've ran the dials from the zero stop all the way to the top of the elevation travel several times and they all return to zero as they should.

They have nice crisp audible clicks unlike the mushy adjustments from past models and the ZL2 locking mechanism is a nice feature for a woods rifle. Overall, I consider them the best option for for a sub $1000 optic.

For reference, I am not a Leupold supporter. I have a lot of higher end optics like Nightforce, Zeiss, March, and Vortex AMG. I choose to make my own opinions about products and ignore internet lore. I get rid of things that don't work and I haven't gotten rid of any of my VX HD scopes.

Last edited:
My experience with the vx5 has been pretty much the same as brentec. I have run the nightforce for a number of years. And while I do like them very well it seems as I have gotten older weight has become more of an issue. So in looking for something lighter I tried the vx5. To me the glass is decent and the tracking has been good. I have not sold my nightforce scopes but they go on rifles that I don't figure I will pack. And my pack rifles get a vx5. Good luck with your decision.

I recently bought a VX5 to put on a Pre 64 Win 300HH. Hoping it is a good match. With the 26" barrel on the gun it will shoot.

I recently installed one on my 7mm Wby. and its works flawlessly out to 1,000 (that's as far as I shot so far). I like the clarity of the glass and think it has a better picture than my Nightforce SHV.

I really like these scopes for lighter builds. Mine dials more than it should but I take it into account. Definitely tall target test them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.