Len's Seven Backpack Trip Destinations For 2017

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Western state alpine backpacking has morphed suddenly into a serious addiction for me. :)

Last year I had quite a year but 2017 will be even crazier. Of the seven trips, only one is a repeat from 2016. Last year I hiked the Teton Crest Trail three times. Once solo, once with my friend Robb Wiley and once with my son Andy.

This year over Christmas my daughter Barbara accepted my invitation to hike the TCT!

1. Zion National Park in late March - - La Verkin Creek Trail overnight, Observation Point day hike
  2. Zion National Park in late April - - West Rim Trail, Angel's Landing and the East Rim Trail
  3. Yosemite: Tuolumne Meadow south to Cathedral Lakes, Clouds Rest, return to TM
  4. Glacier National Park in late July: Highline and Garden Wall down to Swiftcurrent pass Trailhead
  5. Wind River Range: Titcombe Basin from Elkhart Park
  6. Wyoming's Teton Crest Trail in late July - - (again) with my daughter Barbara this time
  7. Grand Canyon in early November: North Rim to South Rim

Almost all of these require advanced reservations for permits to camp in the backcountry. I am thrilled that yesterday and today I obtained permits online for TCT and my first Zion trip.

I welcome discussion of my trip selections. Would love to hear of your own experience or suggestions on any of these.

And for those who haven't heard, my dad is 71 years old and in the best shape of his life. On our trip together last year I had to repeatedly remind him to slow down... Seriously...

Last edited by a moderator:
I welcome discussion of my trip selections. Would love to hear of your own experience or suggestions on any of these.

If you are a backcountry skier, You might enjoy the Teton Crest trail in the spring.

Truly spectacular, and you won't have to share the trail with anyone else.

Hello, this is Len. I hate to do this but now that I see your post on my PC rather than my mobil device, I notice that the images are so large in pixels that the page is ginormously wide making viewing on a PC difficult. So I deleted the images.

They are truly magnificent so I hope you might redo them in the proper size to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you happen to find yourself in the Shasta-Trinity forests of Far north California, we've got some pretty good trails and mountains to tootle around in.

Here are a couple of videos I made of a place I frequent, if anyone is interested.

Part I - [ame]https://youtu.be/LBK13mNpCuU[/ame]

Part II - [ame]https://youtu.be/aSGsRTIGRmk[/ame]

--TK

Len - I had been out to Arizona a few years back - hit West Fork Trail Sedona, Flagstaff and of course Grand Canyon. I am hooked as well, my next trip I'm hoping to make it to Zion, Angel's Landing. Cheers!

And now I have the permits for my 2nd Zion trip plus my Teton Crest Trail trip with my daughter.

The only permit acquisition remaining is for the Grand Canyon.

Hi Len!

Glad to hear you've obtained most of the permits you were looking for. Retirement is getting closer every day for me, I'm planning two short trips this summer, one on the North Country Trail, that one is about 30 miles, more of a get familiar with my equipment trip. Should I not become the woods entertainment on that trip I will be following it up with a 65 mile trek doing half of the Northville Placid Trail in the Adirondacks. I plan on attending another Long Range Shooting School this summer, maybe I can have a few minutes of your time discussing a Grand Teton trip next year, what to expect what equipment I'll need etc.

Best of luck on your journeys this year!!

MPM

Zion National Park in late March - - La Verkin Creek Trail overnight, Observation Point day hike
Zion National Park in late April - - West Rim Trail, Angel's Landing and the East Rim Trail
Yosemite: Tuolumne Meadow south to Cathedral Lakes, Clouds Rest, return to TM
Glacier National Park in late July: Highline and Garden Wall down to Swiftcurrent pass Trailhead
Wind River Range: Titcombe Basin from Elkhart Park
Wyoming's Teton Crest Trail in late July - - (again) with my daughter Barbara this time
Grand Canyon in early November: North Rim to South Rim

Zion park..I live in Utah.. good to be there early in the year; however there will still be crowds. Check for snow shoeing in Bryce if there is snow left. Make sure you do Angel's Landing early. It took my wife and me 70 minutes from the parking lot so leave well before dawn with headlamps. Met no one on the way up, but 55 people on the way down. West rim trail was awesome in winter w/shoeshoes/crampons. Observation Pt...wonderful!! Glacier and Yosemite mostly no experience. Teton Crest...top shelf. The Winds...bring the mosquito spray and definitely a headnet!!!! Titcomb Basin is one of my faves.... absolute beauty. We were on the other side last year summitting Gannett in my wife's quest for the 50 highpoints. April for me this year is RtoRtoR in less than 15 hours. Enjoy your photos over the years....mine can be found on a Flickr account searching for "photo61guy". All the best. Joel

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.