Lee Collet Dies in Hornady LnL

tmarvin

I bought a Lee Collet Die for neck sizing .243 cartridges in a Hornady Lock and Load AP press. The problem I'm having is that the die is bottomed out and I get just adequate neck sizing. I've tried taking the lock nut off and that gives plenty of adjustment but of course the die isn't secure. Has anyone else run into this issue? Is there a fix other than milling down the lock nut or adding thread to the die? I don't have any machine tools. It looks like the bushing for the turret adds height to the die but there isn't enough thread to overcome the difference.

Not sure what your real problem is without seeing it.

For starters, the collet can only compress down to the expander stem diameter. Additional pressure is useless unless you hone or remove the expander stem.

Otherwise, I beleive you can buy variable height shell holders.

And/or, you could stick a washer/spacer over your case to cause more downward force. Be carful not to damage the die.

-- richard

Then I REALLY don't understand; you mean there isn't enough exposed thread for the lock nut on either the top OR bottom of the die?

Yes, when the die is properly adjusted there isn't enough exposed thread at the top or bottom. Someone suggested using a lock nut from a RCBS die. They're about half the width. I'm going to try that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts