Kuiu summit refuge

Elkeater

any one have one? I'm considering one with a stove jack, floor and titanium wood stove. Thinking of packing it in via llama for Colorado's third and fourth rifle seasons next year.

Looking for pros cons or other options as well.

I have one, I use the fly and footprint only. It worked great, nice and light, It was easy to get the tent tight enough that it didnt flap in high winds. I am going to buy the stove jack for mine. I had very little condensation, I kept the vents open when I used it. I used it in every type of weather this year, from high winds and heavy rain to snow

We bought one, and a stove and jack, for a SE AK hunt. Didn't realize that you cannot use the stove and jack in conjunction with the bug net.

I'm hindsight, we never needed the bug net, the stove would have been really handy (since we got wet so often).

Other than that, awesome tent.

We bought one, and a stove and jack, for a SE AK hunt. Didn't realize that you cannot use the stove and jack in conjunction with the bug net.

I'm hindsight, we never needed the bug net, the stove would have been really handy (since we got wet so often).

I think I'd like the headroom of Seek Outside hot tents but for high winds the Kuiu looks very good.

BTW, Titanium stoves from Titanium Goat are also very light.

Eric B.

Last edited:
That's what we had, the 18" barrel stove from Ti Goat. We got the 7' flue.

We had the chance to use it during my oct 15 elk hunt. It sure is nice while you are eating breakfast and dinner, take your outer layers off, dry things out.

That's what we had, the 18" barrel stove from Ti Goat. We got the 7' flue.

We had the chance to use it during my oct 15 elk hunt. It sure is nice while you are eating breakfast and dinner, take your outer layers off, dry things out.

I have a square stove (older steel Kifaru model). The flat top is great for heating a cup of coffee or a slow simmer on food. I could start my food on the stove and use the Jet Boil for a couple cups of morning joe.

That is good to know as I have been looking at this setup.

I'm mostly commenting to follow in case any good info about using this particular tent with a stove comes up.

I have a summit refuge and I love it. It pitches great in awkward spots, it is very roomy and it is great for cutting weight. I have used it for elk and coues deer hunts as well as a lot of general backpacking trips and as a sunshade on day trips hunting audad. It has kept me dry in a number of storms and actually holds a little heat on cold nights...a little.

I am considering taking the next step into overnight snow shoe trips this winter so a stove set up is on the radar. However if I was buying a whole new tent with the expectation of using it with a stove, I would honestly either spring the extra cash for a kifaru or other tent that really was designed from square 1 with a stove in mind l, or just go with a great sleep system and a fully enclosed true 4 season tent.

for the price of the summit refuge, jack, stove ect ect...you are looking at spending enough money to just buy a hellisberg and sleep cozy without having to stoke fires, worry about sparks or melt the snow under your tent. You wont have to fret beating the stove up or worry about its edges cutting your gear either.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts