Kelbly’s Nanook/Prometheus, Lone Peak, Impact NBK, or Terminus Kratos

Chase723

Going to be building a 7PRC. Looking for people with experiences with these actions. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a place or people where I can go get a feel of these first hand so I'm reaching out to our great LRH community.

I used to have an Atlas Tactical which seemed great, but want something a little stiffer. I have extensive experience with DLC coated Big Horn TL3s. While after 1-2K rounds they cycle ridiculously smooth most of the time, sometimes they'll want to bind at the rear just a little…I'm wanting to avoid that completely. I realize that these actions all have slightly different features, non of these are CRF, that the Kelbly's have a mechanical ejector instead of a spring type, and the Terminus is 60 deg throw, etc. I'm impartial to all of that. They all are a Rem700 footprint, have prefits available, accept TriggerTech triggers, bolt lift/close are totally acceptable, and make for very accurate rifles. I'm just looking for the action that doesn't bind at all with those same traits. I'm not 100% opposed to getting another TL3 but from everything I can gather these actions are better in that capacity. @lancetkenyon from reading around it seems like you have some experience with Kelbly's and Lone Peak. Feel free to tag anyone else who might be able to offer legitimate insight/experience to the conversation.

Thanks,

Chase

I specifically switched to Impact away from others because the two SA I have have worked flawless. Picked up a 787 LA to have all my bases covered. I don't see myself buying anything besides Impact.

If you like the Atlas Tac, the Prometheus is just as smooth, but has added stiffness in the action with the full Picatinny rail milled in and the offside is fully enclosed.
I think a long bolt handle adds to binding. Putting leverage out away from the bolt body does not lend to smooth bolt manipulation and induces side loading onto the bolt.

As for other actions, I think a lot of them are very smooth.

I have a couple Defiance Deviants (GALA GA Hunter and SA Deviant Tactical) that are very smooth. If the new owner would not have raised prices by 50%, I would be more inclined to own a few others.

I have a couple Lone Peak Fuzions. Both SA TIs. One is very smooth. The other has felt like the bolt lugs drag in the action when you are opening or closing the bolt. Not the backwards motion, but the up and down to lock/unlock. It is fully nitrided and has done it since new. With two different bolts. I have shot a few other Fuzion and Razor TIs that felt the same. This is why I went away from TI actions and just get lightened steel actions now (Nanook and AnTi X). The steel actions do not have this issue at all.

I have shot quite a few 60° bolt throw actions, and I just can't get used to them. I am sure if I owned some, it would not be a big deal.

If you want lighterweight, the Nanook is the way to go. Smoother than the Defiance AnTi X.

Tagging in to read the feedback. I see there is a number of members suggesting Impact. I was interested, so I did a bit of research. The Impact is very popular in PRS, and I'm sure they perform admirably in this environment. I can't imagine adding close to pound of weight in an action for a hunting rifle. To each their own, but I have heard great things about the Nanook. My GS highly recommends them. I really like my Anti X, but the Nanook is at the top of my list for my next build. I still am waffling between the Nanook and the Bat Vesper, but $$ matter to me.

All, thank you for the responses. I hear you on the 60 deg throw. I'm undecided if I like it or not. To me it feels like it stops short and needs to be 75 deg. Lol…seems like it's going to be Kelblys or Impact NBK. With impact coming out with/trialing some 75 deg bolts I'm leaning that direction.

What makes the Impact better at a cost of 6 ounces? I have handled a Vesper but not the other two.
Impact has trigger hangers to adjust fitting triggers... though I've never had to do that.

Buddy and i have a few vespers and they needed pin fall adjusted.

Impact has no flutes on bottom of bolt so feeding is smoother.

Both are great. But vesper are 500 bucks more and I've had to send them to someone for a few hundred more to get tuned.... didn't really expect that it would be needed...

Recent Posts