Javelina

jasont

Hey y'all.first post here I'm looking to work up a load for javelina. Out of my 300 win mag. I know I know it overkill. But is what I have. Currently I load the '215 begets with h1000. And I have gobs of powder. What would a good bullet to use for javelina . I'm assuming something that's not highly fragmenting. I'm not against buying some new powder. Give me some ideas. Weights and bullets. Maybe a couple pet loads if you got em Thank all

I don't think any particular bullet or powder is worth chasing for javelina. If you are wanting to hunt one at 400+ yards, then go with what works with your rifle. I think it's safe to say that if you taking a shot at a javelina at 200+, it's because you want to, not because you have to.

If you are wanting to experiment with a new bullet and powder combo, then do it! Try not to waste meat, there isn't much there! I am a fan of the newer shedding mono's, but they are capable of some devastating damage, especially on smaller critters. I previously used a factory 308 speer gold dot on a javy with virtually no meat loss and drt performance. But that was a sub 50 yard shot.

Use what works for you. If you want to tinker, perhaps try one of the fine mono metal bullets we have to choose from. Anything 300wm on such a small critter has potential for a lot of damage. Enjoy your hunt and let us know what you decide.

Yea that's really all I'm wanting to do.just try something different maybe a little less recoil load . I apply for the ham hunt primarily. But my last two choices are general season.

You could try a lightweight mono. I can get a 124gr HH near 4200 in a 300 RUM.

Otherwise, pick another bullet you would want as an alternative that is readily available and work up a load for it so you have more options for that rifle.

Yea that's really all I'm wanting to do.just try something different maybe a little less recoil load . I apply for the ham hunt primarily. But my last two choices are general season.
You can probably still use whatever weapon you'd use for a HAM hunt during the general season.

I've pretty much quit rifle hunting javelina, it's not much of a challenge aside from finding them. When I was rifle hunting them, I gave myself a "no closer than" distance of 200 yards for my 243 WSSM and 95gr BTs. I'd probably double that for anything 300 WM. If you get that general tag you might just have to be careful with the some meat damage, I'm not sure there's a combo that would work, unless you went with an extremely reduced load like a Trail Boss load.

Last edited:
Hey y'all.first post here I'm looking to work up a load for javelina. Out of my 300 win mag. I know I know it overkill. But is what I have. Currently I load the '215 begets with h1000. And I have gobs of powder. What would a good bullet to use for javelina . I'm assuming something that's not highly fragmenting. I'm not against buying some new powder. Give me some ideas. Weights and bullets. Maybe a couple pet loads if you got em Thank all
Welcome to LRH, and enjoy! Dang, the last time I hunted javelina was 1992-1996. You should be fine with your setup. Good luck, and happy safe hunting.

Welcome to LRH.

Sounds like you are wanting to play with smaller bullets out of a 300Wm.
Find a mono - all copper bullets, I have in the area of 124 up to 150gr loaded for one of my 300, and playing with N- 555&560.
Hope this helps. 👍

Use a handgun, that's fun hunting!!

Javelina 1.JPG

chav0_12, HAM refers to the special javelina hunt in Arizona called Handgun, Archery, Muzzleloader. Can't use a center fire rifle for this hunt.
I know what it is. I'm grew up there still come down for archery javelina and deer some years, all of my family is still there. He said rifle hunts are his last two choices, so he's used to doing the HAM hunt. I suggest just using whatever you'd use for the ham hunt during the general season. Since it's totally legal to use any weapon during the general season.

A 22 LR hollow point through the lungs and they run about 30 yards before keeling over. I've taken a dozen that way while raiding my garden.

A 300 WM should do the job. I'd use a light mono with a light powder change. Whatever shoots good.

First and Foremost……Wellcome from North-Central Wyoming!

Consider using light loads with jacketed bullets or even cast bullets in your 300.

Years ago we went on an unsuccessful Javelina hunt in Az. I think there's a reason that left over tags were available…..there seemed to be a shortage of Javelina where we were at! 😂

Anyway, as we're not "dedicated" long range hunters/shooters……we brought our hunting rifles, her's a .338 WM, and mine my .375 AI, both using cast bullets. We didn't see this as a big disadvantage as we were planning on shots under 150 yards. Obviously, if you're planning on "long range" shooting……light load cast ma not be a good plan! 😉 memtb

Recent Posts