Japanese made Tasco 24X target scope.

CalFed

I recently won a Japanese made 24X Tasco target scope. It is in very good (looks almost unused) condition and includes the threaded scope covers. Lenses look unblemished.

My question to those of you that have or had one of these is ...can the adjustment knobs be set to zero and if so how?

Thanks

Attachments

• TS24.44D.jpg
    TS24.44D.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 59
  • TS24.44B.jpg
    TS24.44B.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 60
  • TS24.44C.jpg
    TS24.44C.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 57
  • TS24.44.jpg
    TS24.44.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I don't think any Tasco was ever made in Japan.
Pics didn't work so hard to say but aren't they capped turrets? who cares if they are at "zero"

The Japanese 24x and 36x Tasco target scope were highly regarded in benchrest shooting. The pictures above clearly show the scope is made in Japan. My 24's n 36's are World Class models and I've never had a failure. Never needed to or tried a zero or zero stop though.

The Bausch and Lomb and Leupold targets scopes of the same period were reliable too, none of the glass compares to todays scopes but hitting a bulleye, game animal or gong doesn't require fantastic glass

Last edited:
To set zero for either elevation or windage, turn the turret one way until it stops, then go back the opposite way counting the clicks as you go along. If say you count 80, come back again the other way 40 and you are then centered for either windage or elevation. Do the other turret the same way, you are then centered. Tasco back in the 60's and 70's were not considered very good because they were Japanese made. I know nothing about their target scopes

I have a number of Japanese Tasco's with very good glass for rimfire. The bad thing about them is the turrets are not as easily adjustable but if you are shooting a given range they are fine. None of the ones I have drift on the AO adjustment like I have had happen with some newer and much more expensive scopes. I have also had many Redfields which were much desired in the day. Dont have a single one any more as most of them the lenses got darker.

To set zero for either elevation or windage, turn the turret one way until it stops, then go back the opposite way counting the clicks as you go along. If say you count 80, come back again the other way 40 and you are then centered for either windage or elevation. Do the other turret the same way, you are then centered. Tasco back in the 60's and 70's were not considered very good because they were Japanese made. I know nothing about their target scopes
Thanks!

That will get me to the mechanical zero of the scope. Once the scope is zeroed for a specific distance and windage, I would like to set the knobs to zero. I've discovered a small set screw on each knob that appear to be for that purpose

I don't think any Tasco was ever made in Japan.
Pics didn't work so hard to say but aren't they capped turrets? who cares if they are at "zero"
I have a Tasco Euroclass 3-9x44 with a 30mm tube that was definitely made in Japan and is as good optically as any low to mid range scope currently made.

I have a Tasco Euroclass 3-9x44 with a 30mm tube that was definitely made in Japan and is as good optically as any low to mid range scope currently made.
I've seen several claims as to which Japanese scope shop made the Tasco scopes in Japan. Some claim Hakko and others claim Light Optic Works. Both churned out some decent quality scopes.

Try making a v block in a cardboard box. Then look through the scope with a turret up . Rotate back and forth. Adjust until crosshairs stay in center when rotating. Get one turret close, then do the other. This will get you close.

Thanks...this is exactly what I was looking for!

You have to go back to the 60-70s. Japan made the best optics around. Their camera lenses were fantastic! Tasco was the same way, as high in quality as anything American made. Based on my age, probably, but I like the old stadia line scopes; and the Tascos stand up to the Bushnells and Redfields I own. As someone pointed out, the glass might not be up to today's standards, but we didn't consider ourselves disadvantaged when hunting in the 70s.

Those older Tasco scopes that were made in Japan were good scopes for their day. The lense quality wasn't on par with scopes today. Or likely the coatings on the lenses were not up to scopes made today. But I never had one fail in miserable hunting conditions.
I can remember several Leupold's, Bausch and Lomb and Redfield's fogging internally while the Tasco's did not on the same day, same hunts on my hunting partners scopes.
I have replaced all of the Tasco's on my hunting rifles with Leupold's and Nikons for the newer brighter optics, but old eyes need better glass.
But in 60 years of hunting, I have never had a Japanese Tasco fail, and over the years I have used many.

Recent Posts