Is This Enough For Now

Anschutz8002

I have a New England Firearms Handi-Rifle in 270 Win. It is topped with a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x42 scope and a bipod. I cannot buy any guns for now because I bought an Anschutz 2013 Smallbore rifle and am still paying it off. My dad and I reload and he has gotten one group in the .2's out of his Ruger .270. The range we go to only goes out to 450 yds so I know It will get their just do ya'll have any exp. with this gun. he has one of the new Savage F/TR Rifles but I want to use my rifle. No comps but fun. Thanks in advance and sorry for having a long post.

You don't say what you want to do with it, but since you can't buy another rifle now it has to be enough doesn't it? Handi-rifles aren't notoriously accurate but some people have gotten them to shoot well. The Graybeard outdoors forum has more info on those rifles than anywhere else I've seen.

Graybeard Outdoors - Index

Well I Deer hunt with it now but LR will be paper. My max range for deer is 250 yds and that is hard to get unless you go into south Ga.

That's not much of a long post.

Accuracy has several components but the chief one resides between the ears of the shooter, or so Eddie Harren told me.

So my advice is this.

Learn to shoot accurately. Half MOA is a good number to stay around. I don't shoot much better than that and often times worse. Practice with your Anshultz. That is great practice. Act stupid and shoot it out to 450 yards. You will learn something- once you know your rifle and its bullet you can do great and wonderful things with it. The key is "understanding". That makes or breaks a lot of people. If you can't hit a target at 450 yards with it swap it for a bag of beans and hoe and take up gardening because you don't got what it takes between the ears.

Finally, we will discuss the centerfire, 450 yards is a trivial trip for a 270. It is only the lack of understanding between your ears that is causing it to seem a long ways away.

Anyway, welcome and it is good to have a small bore competition shooter on the the forum. Stick around and learn what there is to learn. It is amazing what other people know.

If you have a good rest 450yards isn't that far. Your .270 should be fine at that range, even with the cheaper ammo like Power Points or Core Locks. Try different bullets and see what shoots best in your gun. I have a NEF in .223 and it shoots moa all day with factory loaded Winchester bulk 45gr hollow points. Before we bought our new house I had a range at the old place a little over 600yards and could smack my 15" gong easily with it. The rifle is just a launch pad for the bullet, if you can hit what you're aiming at then who cares about the name that is stamped on it. Practice-Practice-Practice...just don't dry fire that hammer alot, I know people that have had them break doing so. As stated before, a .22 is great practice...and cheap!

Well I have plenty of experience shooting. I have been shooting since I was 4 (now 16) and competing since Oct 2006. Now I go through total about 4500-5500 rounds of 22 ammo in matches and training and about the same in pellets for Air Rifle Training and competitiongun). I hope to soak up as much as I can from ya'll.
- Zach

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts