I'm about to scream with this Ruger

Overkill338

I've been working with my M77 MkII .300 Win Mag. The original trigger had been hillbilly gun smithed. I bought a Rifle Basix trigger, and the trigger pull is about 1.5 lbs now, which I love. But there has never been any take-up (slack) or whatever you want to call it before the bang. The trigger is sitting right against the "bang wall". I've banged the stock on the floor, used a mallet, etc etc trying to get it to click on it's own. It has not went off without pulling, but I would prefer at least a LITTLE bit of creep.

Thinking it might be the factory sear filed too far. So a very nice member here sent me two factory seats. It made zero difference. Is it possible the firing pin was filed too?

20191004_124302-423x391.jpg 20191004_124326-423x372.jpg

That is how a trigger should be. The only way to fix it (make it worse) is to put a factory unmodified ruger trigger and sear in it. The two stage ruger triggers have a slightly different mounting system that is part of the reciever if I recall. As long as the saftey works, keep the booger hook off the bang switch and keep it pointed in a safe direction (the basic gun rules) until you shoot it. Then enjoy a good and proper trigger pull when your shooting. Your cocking piece looks unmodified to me, and also wouldn't make a difference in trigger feel if it was.

Sounds like you have a good trigger. There should be no creep it should break like glass. Turn the poundage up if you feel unsafe. I don't think you can buy a two stage trigger for it but that would give you take-up to the wall then break.

That is how a trigger should be. The only way to fix it (make it worse) is to put a factory unmodified ruger trigger and sear in it. The two stage ruger triggers have a slightly different mounting system that is part of the reciever if I recall. As long as the saftey works, keep the booger hook off the bang switch and keep it pointed in a safe direction (the basic gun rules) until you shoot it. Then enjoy a good and proper trigger pull when your shooting. Your cocking piece looks unmodified to me, and also wouldn't make a difference in trigger feel if it was.

Thank you both, yes, I've learned what I thought was bad, is really good. I adjusted the safety pin so.there can be no movement when safety is on. I put loctite on the screw.

It really does break like glass, at about 1.5 lbs.

I've been working with my M77 MkII .300 Win Mag. The original trigger had been hillbilly gun smithed. I bought a Rifle Basix trigger, and the trigger pull is about 1.5 lbs now, which I love. But there has never been any take-up (slack) or whatever you want to call it before the bang. The trigger is sitting right against the "bang wall". I've banged the stock on the floor, used a mallet, etc etc trying to get it to click on it's own. It has not went off without pulling, but I would prefer at least a LITTLE bit of creep.

Thinking it might be the factory sear filed too far. So a very nice member here sent me two factory seats. It made zero difference. Is it possible the firing pin was filed too?

View attachment 155477 View attachment 155478

Why would you want creep? Sounds like you need a two stage trigger if you prefer some creep before the break.

Why would you want creep? Sounds like you need a two stage trigger if you prefer some creep before the break.
I was misinformed. I had been convinced that it was dangerous without "takeup" before the break. I was told it was like two knife edges balancing on each other.

Honestly, I love this trigger. I did put some weight back in it. I had it under 1 lb, but cold fingers and gloves, that can be dangerous. It is around 2.25 lbs now.

I was misinformed. I had been convinced that it was dangerous without "takeup" before the break. I was told it was like two knife edges balancing on each other.

Honestly, I love this trigger. I did put some weight back in it. I had it under 1 lb, but cold fingers and gloves, that can be dangerous. It is around 2.25 lbs now.
Gotcha - most of the after market triggers can go light without danger of going off accidentally. Where you get in trouble is with the diy basement trigger jobs.

There was a time I preferred a little bit of creep in my triggers.

I shot pistols and shotguns for quite a while before I picked up a rifle, I think thats why.

Rifles and their triggers just arent designed to work that way. Just take your time and adjust to it. Cheapest and overall best solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.