Ideas on a paint scheme for this carbon rifle

thanks guys! this is a manners stock and it has a clear 'gel-coat' type feel to it, so it does have something there besides just the bare weave. it is for a hunting application so i was thinking black, patriot brown/coyote brown, and OD green.

keep the pictures coming!

Cerakote has an air cure line. I have used the clear coat air cure several times and just ordered some air cure color plus the air cure as I am out of paint. I have decided to add a splash of burnt bronze to my carbon fiber rifle build. It's a hunting rifle so I am keeping simple and easy. I always finish the stock with air cure clear cerakote.

The internet rifle is similar to what I am going to do I think. The other rifle is one I painted years ago and it still looks new. Cerakote clear is tough.

Attachments

• IMG_6232.JPG
    IMG_6232.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0310 (1).JPG
    IMG_0310 (1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
I would leave it alone it looks fantastic just as it is!!! People pay good money to have carbon fiber trim on their car so why hide it. It would be like asking about painting a Exhibition Grade Walnut or Maple stock!

I would leave it alone it looks fantastic just as it is!!! People pay good money to have carbon fiber trim on their car so why hide it. It would be like asking about painting a Exhibition Grade Walnut or Maple stock!
the problem is there are some issues in the gel-coat so its not the best up close. some cammo would hide it. its just part of the process according to them. i had to OK that before they would give me a clear one with no cammo. i did, since i planned on painting it.

BF13C1C7-96E7-4D34-BEF7-38B16A7DC671.jpeg D5FDB321-D2F5-4611-93AB-7E7B8AEB629A.jpeg
I recently painted 2 black synthetic stocks. One is a Savage Accustock and the other is a Tikka T3 stock. I used the Krylon rattle can ultra flat camo paints and the marblizing paint for the web effect. I bought some stencils (Freedom stencils) to mimic the ASAT camo pattern. Then used a final flat clear coat. It won't be as strong as the Duracoat, but it was fun to do and to see if I want to invest into buying a sprayer and the duracoat paints. They're not perfect but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.
Have fun with it. You can always repaint it if you don't like it. I used an old Remington SPS stock I had laying around, to try things out on first. It helped having a trial run.
Good luck

I've been toying with this idea too...not on a CF, but a Chote stock.

My plan is to cut some stencils and air brush this pattern in various sizes all over the stock.

I drew a rough sketch of what I want to use....
20180824_184458.jpg

It needs to be cleaned up a bit, but I think it would look pretty cool...

I've been toying with this idea too...not on a CF, but a Chote stock.

My plan is to cut some stencils and air brush this pattern in various sizes all over the stock.

I drew a rough sketch of what I want to use....
View attachment 112860

It needs to be cleaned up a bit, but I think it would look pretty cool...

Look on YouTube. There is a tutorial on how to make your own stencils using Elmer's glue

I use an air brush and now that cerakote makes a air cure it's easy. They have a decent selection of colors. I have done quite a few rifles. Prep is the biggest issue.

On plastic stocks I sand them, acetone clean, use a plastic primer, a texture if you want, paint, then clear.

Attachments

• 5E175920-F2EA-4C5B-AA67-A0AE6FD4B1F3.jpeg
    5E175920-F2EA-4C5B-AA67-A0AE6FD4B1F3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
I use an air brush and now that cerakote makes a air cure it's easy. They have a decent selection of colors. I have done quite a few rifles. Prep is the biggest issue.

On plastic stocks I sand them, acetone clean, use a plastic primer, a texture if you want, paint, then clear.
That looks really cool

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts