I tried cheap "Rifled" slugs in my "Rifled" barrel...

engineer40

I read an interesting article a few weeks ago. A guy was discussing his testing of shooting rifled slugs in his rifled barrel.

Initially my reaction was that this couldn't work well. I mean, we've always heard you shoot sabot slugs through rifled shotgun barrels right?

His testing showed that shooting rifled slugs through a rifled barrel showed about the same accuracy as shooting sabot slugs through the rifled barrel. If fact the only combination that showed poor accuracy was shooting sabot slugs through a smooth barrel. Those groups opened up significantly and also many were key holed.

I had a couple boxes of old rifled slugs I picked up at an Estate sale a while back. I shot both boxes at 100 yards with my rifled slug gun.

Dang, he was right. They grouped about the same way as the majority of the expensive sabots I've tested. None were key holed; all of them went through the target straight. Although I'm assuming past 100 yards these are probably dropping faster than the lighter weight sabot counterparts.

I shot 10 of them and there was not any strange lead build up in the barrel like I've heard rumors of.

Will I start hunting with cheap non sabot slugs? Probably not... I just thought it was interesting results.

I had the same results 15 years ago and still use what we call pumpkin balls (Remington Sluggers) to this day. Limited on range to under 100 yards but cheaper than sabots and just as accurate.

I've had friends tell me they have shot the old foster slugs through rifled bores and had great accuracy. I've seen the inside of their barrels too and there is heavy lead accumulation in the rifling.
In essence shooting the lead foster slugs turns your rifled bore into a smooth bore.

I agree. I have not had any excessive lead fouling.

I found the slug I am hunting with this year, and it's NOT a sabot. From my rifled barrel I will be hunting with the Remington 3 inch 7/8oz Slugger rifled slugs. 1875fps! Many sabots don't have that kind of velocity! $5.99 a box. Can't beat that!

I got zeroed in at 100 yards. Shot a box of 5 that grouped right around 2 1/2 inches. All shots went straight through the target, no keyholes.

What more could you ask for out of a slug? ......Maybe less recoil? :)

I'd ask for better accuracy. Lol. I'm getting clover leafs from all three of my HR with accutips. Haven't got that good out of my 870 though. Here's my best hr at 208 yards. I had a o a just to the right a bit after the first to for a new lot of accutips. That's why I always buy by the case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:
I've had friends tell me they have shot the old foster slugs through rifled bores and had great accuracy. I've seen the inside of their barrels too and there is heavy lead accumulation in the rifling.
In essence shooting the lead foster slugs turns your rifled bore into a smooth bore.

How many shots did it take for the excessive lead fouling? Shooting lead out of anything will eventually cause the rifling to have lead fouling.

People shoot lead bullets from rifles and pistol barrels all of the time. Why does everyone think that shooting a lead shotgun slug that touches the rifling will lead up unreasonably fast?

I mean, that's what I used to think also... because that's what everyone always says. My personal tests have proved that is not the case. At least for me. :)

A little cleaning goes a long way. I have not had excessive lead fouling.

That's the term that people always use is; "Excessive".

That made me think that within the first few shots the barrel would be lead fouled. Which just is simply not the case.

It sounds like you have tested this also...

I'd ask for better accuracy. Lol. I'm getting clover leafs from all three of my HR with accutips. Haven't got that good out of my 870 though. Here's my best hr at 208 yards. I had a o a just to the right a bit after the first to for a new lot of accutips. That's why I always buy by the case.

Yeah, I hear you... It is hard to look at a 2inch+ group after shooting rifles most of the year. I don't think most 870's are capable of much better than a 2 inch group.

(Not too many years ago a 2 inch group was almost acceptable from a new hunting rifle).

I tried at least 7 different kinds of sabots this year. None of them were terrific.

I'm very thankful for my uncle who owns a bunch of property and lets us all hunt together south of Lansing. That area also has some nice large corn fed bucks compared to the acorn eating bucks on the property I own up north. But dang, it would be nice to not even need to use a shotgun for deer hunting.

I have seen rifled barrels become smooth bores after shooting rifled slugs.Most of the rifled slugs rifling is the opposite of the rifling in the barrels which means the lead will dig into the groves in the barrel.I have worn out brushes trying to get the lead out for people

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts