i need help on a trade

midmo

I have a unfires howa 1500 in .270 win with the hogue stock. Someone local has a rem 700 30 06 adl he is looking to trade. It only has 10 rounds through it and it did not come from Wal-Mart. Would you trade?

I have a unfires howa 1500 in .270 win with the hogue stock. Someone local has a rem 700 30 06 adl he is looking to trade. It only has 10 rounds through it and it did not come from Wal-Mart. Would you trade?
Contrary to popular belief, whether the rifle was sold at WalMart or a premium sporting goods store, a Remington 700 ADL is a Remington 700 ADL. There is no quality difference, they are exactly the same rifle, whether you paid $379 at Walmart or $479 at a premium joint. The reason the Walmart rifles are cheaper in price is because of the mass quantity of them that they sell and buy, Remington gives them a price break, which they pass-on to the consumer. Which is where that stupid internet rumor about them being cheaper in quality because they are cheaper in price came from.

As for your trade, that's up to you. I am Remington 700 to the core, so my opinion on the matter is going to be automatically bias towards the Remington. But I also don't have but 3 un-touched factory Rem 700 rifles left....All the rest of them have been accurized, trued, and are semi-custom builds.

Being that I rarely ever leave well-enough alone, the Rem 700 ADL and BDL rifles make the best starting points for custom rifles, because the 700 has been extremely popular since it's introduction in 1962. And because of its extreme poplularity and versatility, you can find any and every part you could ever want to customize it.

I'd take the one that shoots best, but seeing as they are both basically new, then I'd pick the caliber that suits my needs better. Either can be upgraded, but the 700 gives far more options in that area. The 700 will have better resale.

My cousin just built a custom long range rifle off of a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500) action and aftermarket parts and accessories are very limited to it compared to a Remington. He just happened to have this as the action to build off of so used it. Personally I prefer the Model 700 hands down. I would go for the Remington, I believe they are easier to work with and I prefer a round action. Just my thoughts.

I would make the trade, provided I was comfortable with the 30-06 - "the rifle caliber with the greatest longevity in shooting history". Furthermore, the Remington is more versatile and more suitable for future adaptation if you want to make something else out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.