How to KILL Disable a Primer

And to think,for the last 55 years or so,I've avoided touching primers because I was told it would cause misfires.
I unlearned a lot of things I "knew" about primers over the COVID shortages up here in Canada…got my hands on some OLD primers at an auction sale made by C-I-L (Canadian brand, roots older than Canada itself, started out as a supply company for the explosives used to blast through the Rockies making the Canada pacific railway, still exist mostly making lawn fertilizers and similar stuff) …. They quit making primers and ammunition in 1974 I've since learned (just couldn't really compete economically with American manufacturers while not having access to the American consumer base) but I can tell you they made GOOD stuff back then. Some of these primers I got are likely from the early 1960s….ive used a few hundred of them, they've all gone bang without issue in magnums and non magnums alike, no less consistent over the chrono than any modern primers. I like them. Non corrosive, non mercuric, nothing to worry about. It's too bad they quit making them, lord knows we need as many good sources of reliable primers now as we can get.

But the point is, they're over 50 years old, they've not been stored in any special way (even based on the condition of the boxes), and there is absolutely NOTHING questionable about their dependability. And I grew up believing you needed to ideally store primers in airtight containers in a humidity controlled environment or they might get wrecked or compromised….doesnt seem to be the case, at least for these guys.

I unlearned a lot of things I "knew" about primers over the COVID shortages up here in Canada…got my hands on some OLD primers at an auction sale made by C-I-L (Canadian brand, roots older than Canada itself, started out as a supply company for the explosives used to blast through the Rockies making the Canada pacific railway, still exist mostly making lawn fertilizers and similar stuff) …. They quit making primers and ammunition in 1974 I've since learned (just couldn't really compete economically with American manufacturers while not having access to the American consumer base) but I can tell you they made GOOD stuff back then. Some of these primers I got are likely from the early 1960s….ive used a few hundred of them, they've all gone bang without issue in magnums and non magnums alike, no less consistent over the chrono than any modern primers. I like them. Non corrosive, non mercuric, nothing to worry about. It's too bad they quit making them, lord knows we need as many good sources of reliable primers now as we can get.

But the point is, they're over 50 years old, they've not been stored in any special way (even based on the condition of the boxes), and there is absolutely NOTHING questionable about their dependability. And I grew up believing you needed to ideally store primers in airtight containers in a humidity controlled environment or they might get wrecked or compromised….doesnt seem to be the case, at least for these guys.
Belive it or not,in my early days of flooding I used some C-I-L primers. I think they made ammo also.

put it on a board and drill it from the business end with a drill press, while wearing eye protection. Maybe it goes off maybe it doesn't but either way you'd get an authentic primer with no indentation.

I can't help with shotgun primers, but for display cartridges I buy little magnets that fit in both small and large primer pockets. A little glue to hold them in and you can't hardly tell the difference. The magnets can also be used to hold the cases vertical for display.
Where do you get small magnets?
Thanks much

You need to check my conversions......I think a 5mm x 3mm fits a large rifle.
4mm x 3mm fits small.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240411_201737_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240411_201737_Chrome.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 23
More info below....

Tell me more about this! I didn't know you could get such a thing.

1712933454577.jpeg

If you can find them, there were a few older ones, but I think those companies are out of business or no longer making the dies.

And then there is the refurb die:

Last edited: