How much practice did you require

deerhunter64

I am just now getting into long range shooting. My local range only has targets out to 600 yards. My question is how many rounds did you put down range before you were totally proficient at 600 or more yards. I took my new rifle out for the second time last Friday. I have shot quite a few rifles but normally limited myself from 100 to 400 yards. Up until 400 yards I was shooting spot on. At 5 and 6 hundred yards I was hitting the silhouettes but not as accurately as I thought I should be. Don't flame me too much if this question has been asked numerous times.

It may not be you it may be the rifle. Lots of rifles shoot great at 100 but don't hold together out very far. Also could be you ammo. Not enough stability. Lots of things come into play. Of course ever little movement you make only gets magnified. I know I used to get to caught up in trying to hold to tight when going farther than 300. Then one day I was talking with bob hart who is a very good shooter and he asked me if I knew the difference between 300 and 1000. I said a long way. He responded a few more moa is all. After that I took that advice and started using the same mindset I used at 300 and it really helped me relax and tighten groups.

I just added some new scopes to rifles that I had already. Out to 400 I was good with just holding over. With the new glas and the ability to dial them in it made the farther shots much easier. Site in at 200 and dialed up to 500 and hit first shot. 750 was the same. Wasn't much wind to speak of but good glass to me makes all the difference. And a good range finder. I'm getting the farther shots down pretty decent but at the moment holding myself to 750 until I shoot more. Have a spot setup for 1k to 1500 at the ranch for my 30 cals and 338. Not going to say 1k is easy but with the correct dope and wind hold all I have to do is hold the rifle steady.

As a musician, I am always a beginner when it comes to learning a new song. I apply that to my shooting in the sense that I'm always trying to learn about how I hold the rifle, how a bullet, powder charge or other variable, affects accuracy and several other factors that go into shooting accurately and precisely. In other words, shooting proficiency is a path or a way vs a destination or number of rounds, that comes with practice.

I would quit shooting silhouettes until you get your gun figured out at the ranges you want, paper will tell you the true story.
I would lean towards your load not performing, do some ladder tests at 600 and look at the results if your confident it's not your shooting skills or try another shooter to see if your getting the same results.

500 yards is where **** gets real. Your form must be good, your rest must be steady, and you'll need experience to deal with wind. That being said it's not voodoo or magic, shoot your load through a chrony, run your info through a ballistic app and go practice. If you can shoot a small group at 100, you can do it at 300 then further, it's the same basics, the mistakes are just magnified the further you go.

If you think your loads are spot on I'd chrono them and see what they are doing for sure. Itf your standard deviation is way off I'd start tweaking or start all over. Also your gun may not be the most accurate at the top end of the FPS spectrum. I'd take a good look at your optic too. At 600 yards paralex and other problems compound, while at 100 yards your not going to see the problem. Also it never hurts to find a guy that is more than capable with a rifle and see what they can group at 600 yards vs what you can group at 600.

It was shooting about 1/2 moa at 100 yards 2 weeks ago with my reloads. New HS Precision HTR in 6.5-284. ATACR 5-25 . Shooting 140 Accubonds. Chronograph arrives this week. I think it is 100 percent shooter error and lack of long range experience.

I am just now getting into long range shooting. My local range only has targets out to 600 yards. My question is how many rounds did you put down range before you were totally proficient at 600 or more yards. I took my new rifle out for the second time last Friday. I have shot quite a few rifles but normally limited myself from 100 to 400 yards. Up until 400 yards I was shooting spot on. At 5 and 6 hundred yards I was hitting the silhouettes but not as accurately as I thought I should be. Don't flame me too much if this question has been asked numerous times.
I would look for some long range competitions in your area and shoot in those paper is better for learning than steel. You will learn more there than practicing on your own. Make friends with the winners and don't be afraid to ask them questions.
Drags

I shoot about 1500-2000 rounds a year from 545 to 1700+ yards. Probably 75% of those are between 800-1300 yards over the last 4+ years. Before that, probably 500-750 per year between 350-1200 yards.

On big game, the longest shot I have personally taken is 662 yards, followed by 488 yards. Everything else has been under 200 for the most part. On coyotes, I have made 1st round hits as far as 1327 & two @ 1365. I will shoot at a coyote as far as 1700 if I get the chance. So far, that hasn't happened.

But, environmental conditions dictate how far I feel comfortable shooting at big game. If bad conditions exist, I just don't take the shot. Even if I am 95% sure I can make it. Even with 9-10k shots over 500 yards on targets, a 600 yard shot is not a gimme in my opinion when poor conditions exist. Mainly wind. Which is usually present during a hunt.

You are never "done" practicing for long range.

Last edited:
Lance said it well.
For myself I shoot 1200rounds or more a year. Last summer I was sending 12-30 rounds a night practicing.
When you're shooting at whatever range and not getting the poi and/or group size you want then you start diagnosing the issues causing it.
Loads are a good starting place to improve but also your shooting form and fundamentals.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.