How are the Howa actions for a build?

Bbear

I picked up a 'rescue' Howa from a local pawn shop. It' s a 308 and I already have a 308. Just wondering how the actions are for a build? I know they are a metric thread but was just wondering if they were worth my effort or should I just try and re-coup my $$$?

B, many say they are a good strong action worthy if a build. As you said the metric threads limit the smiths who are willing to do the work and accessories are fewer. Good luck

Picked up a like new Howa 1500 in 270 win for $275 a few years ago and used it for a semi custom build chambered in 6.5-06AI. It now has a Lilja barrel, Manners T2 stock and Timney trigger and it is one of the most accurate guns in my safe.

I don't know how the newer ones are, but the old ones were cheap and junky. 15 years ago (when I worked at the gun store), we had a brand new Howa 1500 Lightning .223 heavy barrel that sat on the shelves for years and nobody would buy it. I talked to the boss, and got it for like $150 out the door, because he said he was tired of seeing it collect dust. So, I took it home and the bolt-to-reciever fit was so sloppy, I instantly understood why it was still there. So, I let it sit (unfired) for about 2 years, then took it to trade it in on my first Browning A-Bolt 7mmRM. They gave me like $450 trade-in on it. Never shot it, traded it in for $300 more than I paid for it, win-win. :cool:

My suggestion is to go find a pawnshop Remington 700 for $250-350, and start there.

I picked up a 'rescue' Howa from a local pawn shop. It' s a 308 and I already have a 308. Just wondering how the actions are for a build? I know they are a metric thread but was just wondering if they were worth my effort or should I just try and re-coup my $$$?

Take it to a good smith with the cartridge of your choice...

My Rem 700s...why is my recoil lug loose?...interesting extractors...Never built a custom Rem action...

However, I have two Howa Long actions...one is sporting a Benchmark barrel with a nothing that is "stock"...in fact, the action is from the "80s" (S&W 1500 is on the side)...

The action runs fine, shoots fine and the AR-15 type of extractor makes more sense...

In a short action Howa...You almost have as many options as the 700 short action pattern..

LA Howa not so much...

Not to go against Mudrunner...

Build your SA Howa...how much money do you have into the pawnshop rescue? :)

And have fun...

I have between what Mudrunner paid and what B23 paid for theirs. Still kind of leaning towards selling it though. Mainly due to not figuring out what caliber to build off of it. Already have 6mm's and 6.5mms as well as 7 and 30 cal SA rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.