Himalayan Tahr in New Mexico

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I have heard about some Himalayan Tahr being in New Mexico and that they are considered a "non-game species" so that all I need is a "small game" license to hunt them. I have also heard that they are on "Mount Taylor" and/or Unit 9. After doing some research on them it seems like a very fun/interesting hunt. I live in AR so unfortunately for me I can't just drive over for a weekend. I had a few questions, I don't know if anyone will really know.

Best Time Of Year to Hunt Tahr?
Best Areas/Units to find them?
How Many are estimated to be in New Mexico?

If anyone has any other info about them please share. Also, if anyone has hunted and/or killed one please share your hunting story and any advice you could give would be great. Thank you for any and all info!

The Tahr were in a game park in Mt Taylor area in the 60's. Tahr escaped and there WAS a small population of them in MtTaylor. I have friends that have killed some over the years but haven't heard of any sighting or killing since the above article. I doubt there are any left

The Tahr were in a game park in Mt Taylor area in the 60's. Tahr escaped and there WAS a small population of them in MtTaylor. I have friends that have killed some over the years but haven't heard of any sighting or killing since the above article. I doubt there are any left
Thank you for the info!

Below are NM's 2024-2025 legal games to hunt.
1708089082909.png

(SOURCE: https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/wpfb-file/hnt-rib-2024-25_english_finalonline_011924a-pdf/)