Help with a Stainless barrel

ThSimpson

Bought a Hawkeye Stainless 6.5CM from an on line auction. I knew it was ugly. What could cause the exposed metal to stain so bad and everything under the stock line to look new?
Any ideas on removal/clean up? Nothing I have used has made a mark or changed it, I did get the black goo off bottom of barrel where it met the stock. Will it just be an ugly pickup gun? Or Cerakote it?
Thanks

IMG_8709.jpeg
IMG_8707.jpeg

Bought a Hawkeye Stainless 6.5CM from an on line auction. I knew it was ugly. What could cause the exposed metal to stain so bad and everything under the stock line to look new?
Any ideas on removal/clean up? Nothing I have used has made a mark or changed it, I did get the black goo off bottom of barrel where it met the stock. Will it just be an ugly pickup gun? Or Cerakote it?
Thanks

View attachment 533386View attachment 533387
Had some type of a chemical reaction from a cleaner perhaps. Least expensive you can try having it "Bead Blasted to have the SS look. You could get it cerakoted to get a NEW look.

Looks like it rode in a rack of some kind and that is where the strap/rack/endgate was rubbing on the barrel right where the top front of the stock meets the bottom of the barrel. Not sure anything but removing metal will make it right. If it shoots, who cares! Can always rattle can or cerakote it.

Get buffing wheels and ultra fine paste polish that should do what you want done . The big question is what does the inside of barrel look like
The bore is about like you would expect, full of gunk, Its not like rust, just black brown gunk. bolt face was covered in it also, but it cleaned up fine. Thinking a bit of bore paste will finish cleaning it up. Scope rings were rusted on the inside. The action cleaned up nice. The clean part is everything below the stock line.

I'd put whatever time is needed into trying to get the bore and chamber cleaned out- and shooting it- to see if it's worth the effort to address cosmetics.
It's encouraging that whatever the "gunk" is seems to be removable and non-corrosive based on the boltface, but cleaning the bore back to bright may not be as easy. Did you try different solvents? Even strong stuff like acetone and brake cleaner won't hurt stainless and it might be easier as well. Not a fan of abrasive bore cleaners unless there's no other option.

Bore cleaned up fairly well for no more effort than I put into it at this time. Got the outside to clean up with a bit of mothers polish and foam buffer in a drill. Will maybe take it out and see if it shoots if we get above freezing .

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpeg
    IMG_0508.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 53
Certainly looks like a chemical reaction - could only guess what may have caused it and I'm likely to be wrong. I Cerakote everything, usually in Graphite Black, since I have a small spray rig and my wife travels a lot, so I can bake my parts in the oven and not get yelled at. A barreled action fits in diagonally :)