Help setting up first elk hunt

maddog70

As briefly as I can... I have two sons in the Army and want to set up a (2014) hunt for the three of us if possible. Scheduling will be tough but worth the try. I've heard some of my friends discussing the nightmare of tag draws, expense and logistics. It all sounds rather daunting to my little brain. I want to make the effort for my sons who have both had multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and need a break.
To the point. I know nothing of this process. Should I try a "self-hunt" or is the expense of a "guided hunt" a necessity in my case? I'm in Ohio, #1 son is in Hawaii and #2 son is in Ft. Benning, GA. We'd be hunting with rifle @ ranges up to 500 yd. I'm thinking Colorado but then what do I know.
This may be my only chance at pulling this off so I need all the "experienced" help I can get. Any and all sound advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

I am sending you a PM with my contact info.. I am not a outfitter. I have hunted all over the US and Canada guided and self guided.. I will try and point you in the rite direction but too many variables to try and figure it out on here. Telephone would be quicker and easier.. IMO

Maddog;
Looking over you circumstanses I would suggest an outfitter. Time is huge, Knowing where to go to harvest, is what they they get paid for. If this is a gift or surprise for your sons, having details worked out would be a benifit. Once in a lifetime hunts should be as sucsesful as it can be. Some might even be able to facilitate faster tags.
If hunting is what you have done with your kids for awhile, it might be a blessing to plan and exicute as a father and son trip. It might not be next year, but it's with your kids.
Sometimes it comes down to how much work do you want to put in to it, or pay someone else to do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.