Help me choose: 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor

aaatkr

Looking for a PVA John Hancock rifle in one of these two calibers. The rifle will be used primarily for informal target shooting from 100 to 600 yards, possibly a bit longer if I can get on my friends property. Primary use would be targets, occasional hunting. I like the fact the 6 has less recoil compared to the 6.5 and is a bit faster. I do not reload at this stage of the game. The availability of factory ammunition is greater for the 6.5 and barrel life seems to be 30 to 50 percent longer. Not a fan of the increased recoil though. If I shot 120 grain bullets with a brake would that tame recoil down to that of a 6mm with 105 hybrids( the round I would likely shoot with the 6mm) or would I be sacrificing some accuracy compared with the 140 Bergers more commonly used in the 6.5. The 6.5 is more adaptable to hunt with should I go in that direction. I have no experience with either caliber only owning .243 , 30-06 and rimfires. Should I go with the 6 and rebarrel as needed? I welcome your opinions. Thanks. The rifle will weigh 10 1/2 to 11 pounds complete. How does recoil compare to a .243 Win shooting 1oo grain factory loads. Sorry if you've read this post before. I posted this on a couple of other sites. I just wanted as much info as I could get. Thanks.

I have a 6.5x47 (no brake) that weights about what yours will weigh and shoots 123's. Almost identical to 6.5 Creed. To me, it's a kitten to shoot and a brake would really reduce the already tame recoil. Most of the PRS guys have gone to some form of hot rod 6mm, no doubt because they score better but also no doubt, they switch out barrels sooner.

The 6.5 doesnt kick that bad. I shoot a 12.5 lb 6.5 with 140-150s and it's a dream. I can spot all my own impacts. You must practice proper recoil management. The 6.5mm has a much wider selection of bullets that are useable for long range. Flat shooting I dont think is a big factor anymore with rangefinders. Minimum wind drift and reading wind is the name of the game.

Many of the PRS competitors switched to the 6mm because of the light recoil, AND, the preference to shoot free recoil which they feel can produce greater accuracy with the tough targets. I will say that I know if quite a few shooters that have gone back to the 6.5. The price paid is shorter barrel life(800-1500rds) compared to the 6.5(2000-2500), and, greater difficulty in spotting impacts with the lighter bullets, the reason for the growing popularity of lighted hit indicators on the LR steel targets.
For your purposes, I'd go for the 6.5. With a break, I don't think you will find the difference that much of a factor. I can barely feel the difference between my 6.5x47 and my buddies 6XC, both braked.

I have a 9lb 14oz 6CM w. Brake shooting a 105 Hybrid up to 3200fps. No issues with recoil at all.
I have a 15# 6.5 SLR w. Brake shooting a 140 HVLD @ 2940fps. No issues with recoil at all.

I have shot 7 or 8 different 6.5CM pushing 140-147 bullets. From 6# w/o a brake to 19# w brake. No issues with recoil at all.

6CM is nearly identical to the .243 Win.
6.5CM is pretty close to a .260 Rem.

With wanting to hunt with it too, I would go 6.5CM if I didn't reload.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.