Handgun Whistle Pigs

COBrad

My big game guns shoot a lot more varmints than anything else, including my .454 Casull. Those 300 gr XTP's at about 1600 fps are pretty hard on the marmots, or whistle pigs as I grew up calling them. My goal this year was to break the 200 yard mark, and my long handgun shot this year was 212 yards. I'm shooting a Freedom Arms with 7.5 inch barrel and a Vortex Venom sight. Next year I plan to mount a scope and break the 300 yard mark. Pictured is the 212 yard shot and a 156 yard double.
2 in one shot 156 yds 8.2018.JPG
212 yds 8.2018.JPG

That looks like a lot of fun. I grew up in W.Va and truly enjoyed groundhog hunting. Mainly with rifles, but did get some pistol shots in my time. I still believe that groundhog hunting made me the better shooter that I have become. No pro by any margin, but shooting whistle pigs taught about yardage and wind holds.

The 454 is fun to shoot. My Freedom Arms has a 5.5" barrel. Great idea to mount the Vortex Venom sight on it. I have used a Leupold 2.5-7 scope for years to hunt deer and it works great as long as the deer stands still long enough for a accurate shot. Using a scope for whistle pigs would be a lot of fun.

I still believe that groundhog hunting made me the better shooter that I have become. No pro by any margin, but shooting whistle pigs taught about yardage and wind holds.

Oh, no doubt about it. Guys think they are good until they start trying to hit one of those small targets at 400 yards on a breezy day. :)

Living in Eastern NC where a groundhog is extremely rare, I really miss the whistle pigs of a big clover field in the hills. I miss it more then deer hunting the ridges, well maybe. Someday I will make it back to the hills. Deer season was more then hunting in November, it was tradition. When I was young, I remember when my Papaw had a 222 Rem. It was the hot ticket back then. You could not miss with that rifle. Maybe the 12x Unertal that sat on top of it helped. Many years ago. My dad and I walked many, many miles in the fields and along the edges and wood lines sitting watching holes. And a experienced ground hog hunter new what to look for in the fields, the way the grass was greener and taller around the holes. What great memories. SOMEDAY !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.