Hammer HHT vs Absolute

The word was created in Yellowstone by the rangers who deal with MORON Tourists everyday getting kicked, gored, bit and trashed by ignoring the wildlife photography and interaction rules. Moron + Tourist = Touron.
I knew that. I was just correcting his spelling.😉 I deal with Tourons in Cody from May through Sept. 🙄

Tourist + Hemorrhoid = Tourhoid = general pain in the.....

Living in the Pismo Beach area, I encounter plenty of them....

Back to topic at hand. Based upon a ton of reading on the Hammer forum regarding terminal on game performance in the land down under, I went with the 122gr HHT for my 270 WSM and the 138gr HHT in a 30-06. We will (hopefully) see this fall how the HHT does. I can tell you the 90gr AH in a 25-06 going over 3600 at the muzzle has outstanding terminal performance on whitetails. I had similar results on an OK buck with the 85gr HH going a touch over 3400 in a 20" Creedmore. If HHTs out perform the HH and AH Hammers, I don't think you can go wrong there...

Are there any big differences between the Hammer HHT's vs Barnes TSX/TTSX with regards to penetration depth and wound channel ? Which would be better for large dangerous game?

Are there any big differences between the Hammer HHT's vs Barnes TSX/TTSX with regards to penetration depth and wound channel ? Which would be better for large dangerous game?
Aside from differences in raw material, (ours is very soft) the biggest difference is Hammers are designed to open and shed the nose. VS they are designed to retain 100%. If our bullet doesn't shed the nose we would almost consider it a failure. The opening and shedding creates a huge amount of shock and a much larger initial wound channel. The resulting flat front retained shank displaces soft tissue perpendicular to the direction of travel along with the shed petals that generally travel along with the shank, will also create a larger permanent wound channel. This design will penetrate straighter and deeper and kill more efficiently.

Aside from differences in raw material, (ours is very soft) the biggest difference is Hammers are designed to open and shed the nose. VS they are designed to retain 100%. If our bullet doesn't shed the nose we would almost consider it a failure. The opening and shedding creates a huge amount of shock and a much larger initial wound channel. The resulting flat front retained shank displaces soft tissue perpendicular to the direction of travel along with the shed petals that generally travel along with the shank, will also create a larger permanent wound channel. This design will penetrate straighter and deeper and kill more efficiently.
Are the Hammer HHT's similar to the Cutting Edge Safari Raptors?

Are the Hammer HHT's similar to the Cutting Edge Safari Raptors?
I guess similar in that they are both cnc machined from copper and have tips.

I have to say I have never looked at a Raptor. When we first started making bullets we used the same material as they do/ did. I don't know if they have changed. Weight retention was dependant on impact velocity and hollow point depth. It was a balancing act that had a relativity narrow impact velocity window. When we found the copper that we use now, we are able to control the weight retention based on the hollow point depth. We get the same weight retention from 1800 fps impacts and up to pretty much no ceiling. Very high impact velocity, like 4000 fps, still retains the same weight, it just squishes more. When we found our copper it was a game changer.

I was the guy that was publicly vocal that Hammer Bullets would never have a tip. We had tried several times before and could never get them to work as well as our open hollow point designs. Particularly at low velocity impacts. There was no way we could bring to market a bullet that didn't work as well for terminal performance as what we already had just because it looked cool with a tip and added bc. Sacrificing terminal performance for anything is not acceptable. All tips are what I have always said, a plug in the hole that has to be evacuated in order for fluid to enter the hollow point, so the bullet can expand from the inside out. Like most design challenges, low velocity is the most difficult. The other issue that tips have, with all bullets, is deflecting on angled impacts on bone. Too robust of tip material will break out the side of the meplat and cause directional change or tumbling or bullets not deforming properly. Tipped bullets are notorious for deflecting. Between the copper we use and our tip material and the way we married them together, we have been able to overcome the issues that tipped bullets have. We animal tested all over the world for about a year prior to taking the Hammer HHT to market. Literally hundreds and hundreds of animals taken. We tried several tip materials and were able to get the others to fail but not the material we settled on. I did not think this could be done. I had to eat crow.

I guess similar in that they are both cnc machined from copper and have tips.

I have to say I have never looked at a Raptor. When we first started making bullets we used the same material as they do/ did. I don't know if they have changed. Weight retention was dependant on impact velocity and hollow point depth. It was a balancing act that had a relativity narrow impact velocity window. When we found the copper that we use now, we are able to control the weight retention based on the hollow point depth. We get the same weight retention from 1800 fps impacts and up to pretty much no ceiling. Very high impact velocity, like 4000 fps, still retains the same weight, it just squishes more. When we found our copper it was a game changer.

I was the guy that was publicly vocal that Hammer Bullets would never have a tip. We had tried several times before and could never get them to work as well as our open hollow point designs. Particularly at low velocity impacts. There was no way we could bring to market a bullet that didn't work as well for terminal performance as what we already had just because it looked cool with a tip and added bc. Sacrificing terminal performance for anything is not acceptable. All tips are what I have always said, a plug in the hole that has to be evacuated in order for fluid to enter the hollow point, so the bullet can expand from the inside out. Like most design challenges, low velocity is the most difficult. The other issue that tips have, with all bullets, is deflecting on angled impacts on bone. Too robust of tip material will break out the side of the meplat and cause directional change or tumbling or bullets not deforming properly. Tipped bullets are notorious for deflecting. Between the copper we use and our tip material and the way we married them together, we have been able to overcome the issues that tipped bullets have. We animal tested all over the world for about a year prior to taking the Hammer HHT to market. Literally hundreds and hundreds of animals taken. We tried several tip materials and were able to get the others to fail but not the material we settled on. I did not think this could be done. I had to eat crow.
Thank you for that in-depth reply, very informative.

Will the Hammer HHT 154gr in 308 properly function/cycle in a semi-auto AK 308 platform like the Zastava M77? The Zastava M77 has a 1:12" twist in the barrel. Will the 1:12" twist rate be able to stabilize the Hammer HHT 154gr?